Friday, June 12, 2020

Pretty Peacock



Here is a wee peek at the current warp.  It's not true in colour, being a bit more green, but as good as I can get with my ipad camera and in the shadows beneath the loom.

The draft is built on a 5 end satin structure, so I increased the epi to 36 instead of the 32 I've been using for twill based designs.  This will make the towels a little thicker, but the fewer interlacements will still provide flexibility.  With a higher density they might not be quite as absorbent, but the longer floats will provide more surface to pick up water so it may all equal out.

Regardless, they will make towels.

With so much turmoil and uncertainty in the world right now, it seems pointless to carry on making things.

On the other hand, it is what I can do, in this time, in this place.

Hopefully more people will accept that wearing a mask will protect themselves and their loved ones and will turn them into a fashion statement.  Pretty soon we'll all be wearing them.  And then the spread of colds and flu will also reduce.

One hopes.

I'm nearly done hemming the last batch of towels.  I think they turned out well.  Not my taste for colours, particularly, although they would go into my kitchen with it's rosewood cabinets quite nicely.  But I have plenty of tea towels.  Yes, hand woven ones.  :)

Last night several of us got together for a Zoom chat and we talked about using textiles made by others.  When I grab a Robyn Spady or a Syne Mitchell tea towel, I think of them, send them love.  Tea towels may be 'mundane' in that they are intended for ordinary every day use.  But things made by people we love and respect are a much deeper connection to others.

As for me, I really love this warp, even though I'm weaving it 'upside down'.  I know what is underneath.  I know what will be revealed when the warp comes off the loom.  I know how they will, like a proud peacock, go out into the world, to hopefully bring a smile to others.

Currently reading Dead Land by Sara Paretsky.  And wondering how 2020 is going to affect things like TV shows and books in the future...

No comments: