While I have been on a stash reduction target for far too long (people keep dying and I keep getting their yarn to add to mine) there are always interesting lessons to be learned from digging deep into the stash.
Now the two yarns in the photo were acquisitions by moi, but one (the darker) was a sentimental purchase and the other was a deal too good to pass up.
Not always the most sensible way to purchase yarn!
Turns out my memory was a bit faulty about the thickness of each of the yarns. Both are linen, one I bought in Sweden (to be mailed later) because the price was - well, they were getting rid of their yarn inventory! The price was too tempting to not purchase, so I did. To the tune of 5 kilos worth. In the end I didn't get what I wanted but chose from what they had left when it came time to ship and I assumed that all the yarn would be single 16s. Nope, this one and the dark navy were more like single 20s. In other words a lot finer than what I had been using. However, once it arrived, it was mine and I have been using it up. I'd have to check the chart to find out how many yards per pound single 20s has, but take my word for it...it's lots.
The other yarn was from a LYS and the photo is a bit dark and greyer than the colour actually is. I'm thinking that if I run out of the spring green, I will try to use up some of the much thicker darker greyed green on the same warp. Although it may be too grey to fit nicely.
I wasn't sure this bright spring green was going to marry well on the greyed blue/medium blue and fairly deep turquoise green warp, but it looks fine.
The cloth is not turning out the way I wanted it to, however, because instead of a slightly warp emphasis on one side and a slight weft emphasis on the other, I had to add more interlacements to the tie up so that it would weave 'square'. However, I think it's turning out ok and the plain weave I added to the tie up is helping to blend the colours together in a way that I think is going to be just fine.
If it looks this 'ok' on the loom, by the time it is wet finished it should be even better.
The epi is 32, with 4 per dent in an 8 dent reed. That means the reed marks are quite obvious and with linen weft may not come out in the wet finishing. But I don't really mind. The reed marks will be consistent and (let's all say it together) if you can't be perfect, be consistent....