Sunday, October 6, 2024

5.5 weeks

 


Late last week we were contacted about getting the assessment for what I'm facing ahead of me.  Since I had been slowly getting the rest of the warp I'd left on the loom ready, I managed to get it sleyed and tied on over the weekend.  This morning I prepped the warping draft for tea towels, and I'm hoping to take the therapist down to the studio to see what it is I used to be able to do.  If I can at least weave, that will go towards feeling like I'm 'normal'.

Face it, I have done a lot of different weaves over the years.  And I am pretty sure I can do at least simple things, if nothing else.  

My 'voice' still fails me.  I suspect it will keep me from teaching in person, remotely.  

I have heard conservatively about two years to...recover...and face it, I may never to make it to where I was before.  OTOH, several medical folk are telling me I've been very lucky, so who knows?

Did I have more I wanted to do?  I'm sure that I did.  I'd just engaged to write some articles.  But do I 'need' to?  Who knows?  (At least those two got done - can I do more now?  Dunno.)

For all the health challenges I've experienced - cardio stents, living with cancer, triple by-pass, more cancer (the type of cancer I have doesn't just go 'away' - usually), then damage to my lower spine etc., well, I truly thought I didn't deserve any more physical ailments.

Apparently not.

Maybe it is well and truly time to 'retire'.



3 comments:

Jennifer S said...

I hope not.

Donna Schoonover said...

As long as you can still weave, I do not see the need to "retire". But entirely up to you.

Anonymous said...

Laura,
If you define 'retirement' as not weaving anymore - time will tell. You so very much want to weave, you'll find a way. Even in small amounts.
But retirement doesn't mean 'shut your brain down'. All your knowledge and experience is still there!
I finally prepared the Canadian Snowflake pattern from your blog. I got the yarn, calculated the width and the threads and which setts I want to swatch. I read your post again. And you explained how you transferred the 8shaft pattern into an 4 shaft pattern. And recommended Bonnie Inouye's book.
Long story short: I got the book and I'm working and weaving my way through the lessons. It's exactly what I was looking for at this moment in my learning-to-weave journey!
I would've never found that book on my own. I needed your knowledge and willingness to share that knowledge!
And yes, the Snowflake will be the next project.
Please, keep your faith. Our prayers go out to you.
Kathrin