Friday, September 17, 2021

Versatile

 


All of the shawls in the photo were woven on the same warp.  By changing the weft colour and the tie up/treadling, the shawls were related but not identical.

I think this is the kind of thing that drew me to weaving in the first place.  I could set up a set of possibilities, then by making changes, sometimes minor, sometimes major, I could wind up with a variety of different designs.

But weaving is flexible and versatile beyond just this aspect.  

The archeological record is now pushing the horizon for the beginning of textiles to nearly 40,000 years.  Evidence of quite complex spun yarn means that prior to the date of that particular cordage, humans had been spinning for quite some time.  You don't sit down and make a complex 3D structure from fibres the first time you pluck a few fibres off a plant and fiddle with it.

Evidence of actual cloth is scarce and generally second hand - details in stone sculpture, imprints in clay, preserved through the centuries, designs on pottery, showing people spinning and weaving  sophisticated textiles 4000+ years ago.

In the 21st century it is not necessary for everyone to be producing textiles and for those of us who do, we can practice the art/craft to whatever level we desire.

Some of us like to take a deep dive, others just enjoy the time spent at the wheel or loom.  Either way, creativity is being exercised, skills preserved.

There is so much more I would like to learn about weaving.  I have no idea what the future holds or if I will have the time and energy to do another deep dive.  Whether or not I do isn't really relevant, although I do find myself drawn to some areas of textile creation and would like to know more.  OTOH, I can enjoy what others are doing and learn vicariously from them.

Embracing the role of 'elder' I do hope that I can continue to teach, in some way, for a while longer.  But life is uncertain, the future will unfold as it will.  The big thing, I think, is to stay flexible.  I've done deep dives in a number of areas - at this point in my life I just don't know if I have the energy.  But I will keep weaving for as long as I can.

I still have SABLE, after all.

(Stash Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Currently reading The Bone Code by Kathy Reichs

No comments: