Monday, November 1, 2021

New Tool

 



Look what arrived this morning!  It was scheduled for Nov. 5, but turned up at 10 am this morning.

It's smaller and lighter than my old one, but that one wasn't working reliably anymore and this one will be easier to move around, if I need to.  I'm planning on setting up a pressing station, where I can sit to do the job.  Since the bed is smaller, pressing will take longer, and sitting to do the job will likely become ever more important.

There are two more scarves to be twisted, but I actually have enough to do a load of scarves now, so I'm going to sort through and group the colours for a load and get them into the washer/dryer this morning.  Rather than take the time to set up my pressing station this morning I think I'll set up on the worktable, in part because the scarves will be long enough I need to vacuum the floor before I begin pressing.  They won't reach the floor if I use the work table.   And I'm eager to see how this new little guy works.

It also means I can have some scarves ready for the weekend.  No guarantee they will sell, but they surely will not sell in my studio!  

Time to get moving.  Lots to do this week.

2 comments:

Frank said...

What’s the advantage vs using an iron, Laura?

Laura Fry said...

I don't have to apply pressure using my body, the press applies pressure when the lid is clamped down on the cloth. The sole plate is larger, so a bigger area gets done each time the cloth is moved. Even so, it took me the better part of 20 minutes to get each scarf pressed to the degree I wanted it done. Doing it with an iron would have been at least twice as long, would have been hard on my back, neck and shoulders and I would have been standing for far longer. In the end I was able to perch on a tall stool to do the pressing, so a lot less physically strenuous. Getting old is not for sissies... ;) These presses are not inexpensive, but well worth it if someone is doing a lot of finishing pressing (imho). This one came from Wayfair and was on the cheaper end of the pricing spectrum. It is also smaller than my older press, but I'm not in production any longer so I could justify spending the money to save my body the stress of doing the job. Wayfair had several models with more bells and whistles, and possibly a larger sole plate. But I'm happy enough with this one.