Friday, April 15, 2022

Old Dog...

 



...new tricks.

Honestly, I had zero desire to buy *another* laptop!  Truly, I did not want to learn how a new laptop worked.  Get it set up.  Deal with finding all my web site links, remember passwords.

And yet...here I am.

I have a laptop, but it's pretty much dedicated to running the Megado.  It also developed a...quirk...in that it no longer holds a battery charge, in spite of a brand new battery.  I can only assume that there is a broken connection that prevents the laptop from charging/running from a battery.  And given I am (supposedly) retired, I didn't want to spend the money to try and get it fixed.  Not to mention the downtime while it was in getting looked at.  Because I keep it plugged in all the time and it runs the loom and that makes me happy.

But!  I'm getting busier with Zoom presentations and I'm not happy with my laptop set up as it is for doing those.  Throw in the need to shut it down to unplug, move it elsewhere, then plug it in, start it up again, etc., and...I began looking for something that would do the Zoom presentations that would be more portable.

The final justification was that if my old laptop finally gave up the ghost I would already have another laptop as back up, already with Fiberworks on it, and it should be a simple thing to swap the old one out and put the new one in.

I had thought to go with something cheaper, but it seemed like the cheaper ones were cheap at the expense of computing power and given the primary purpose of this laptop is teaching, presenting Power Point slide shows, connecting to the internet wirelessly, and it seemed like folly to be too stingy.  Plus this one had pretty good reviews on the sites I checked.  AND it was on sale.  Not a huge sale, but nevertheless.

It was still more than I had planned on spending so I guess it's a good thing I booked another Zoom presentation this week, and may be booking another with a guild as well.

It's checking for updates, and then I'll begin setting it up.  But for now?  I have a loom to thread.

No comments: