Tuesday, August 16, 2022

On a Mission

 


Still on a mission to weave down my stash, yesterday I cut the last warp off the loom, serged those towels, then tossed the lot into the washer/dryer.  They are now waiting a good hard press.

While they were in the washer and dryer, I set up and beamed the next warp.  More reds, but this time in a vague, blurry stripe.  The draft is another iteration of the 'fancy' twills I've been playing with.  Each warp changes something about the sequence, which means each warp is 'different' than the rest, but still within a theme.  Playing with the imagery of 'flames', still.  Or maybe, just movement.

The weave structure does not follow the colour grouping, and the stripes are not 'hard', but the threads are allowed to migrate, one colour into the next.  It's an effect I'm enjoying as I don't lay this all out beforehand, just come up with the colours as I'm getting ready to beam, then choosing a draft, not knowing how the two will marry in the cloth.

It's an exploration, although a fairly 'safe' one.  The weft then adds to the effect in a way that I can guess, but not really know.

Sort of like life,.

We do the best we can, with the knowledge we have at the time, and hope the results will be positive rather than negative.  But until all is said and done, we don't really *know* how it is going to turn out.

I'm beta reading a novel written by a friend.  And this theme is very much part of the story.  I'm hoping she can get the book published, and if so, I'll certainly be happy to recommend it.  A coming of age story, one with hope and adventure, challenges and obstacles.  

In the meantime I have been making some progress on the class prep, and my web meister has finished re-doing my web site.  Please take a look if you have the time.  

I have the guild programs/lectures listed with a short description.  I'm taking bookings for Zoom presentations for next year now.  Contact me for availability and prices.

Guild programs are roughly one hour, lectures roughly two hours with Q&A after each.

No comments: