Monday, May 1, 2023

One Step

 


The longest journey begins with a single step.

Weaving is a long journey.  It is time consuming, labour intensive.  So I tend to 'celebrate' each step of completion, even though the job isn't done entirely.

Yesterday I finished threading the loom with the next warp, got it half sleyed, did some marking.  This morning I finished sleying, tied on, then cut/serged the last of the towels from the previous warp and got the lot into the washing machine.  Then I wound bobbins for the new warp, back and forthed with my editor.  And it isn't even 11 am!  Wow.  

Spring is here.  The temps are warming, the snow is gone (in town, at any rate), the trees are leafing out, the grass turning green.  

I have some errands this afternoon, but I'm going to begin weaving this warp and see if my 'fuzzy' hearts actually look like something or if they just look like 'blobs'.  If the latter I will pivot to something else.  Or I may just continue making something that looks like blobs.  TBD.

The next warp will be a change again.  Instead of a vertical design, I played around making something with a horizontal design element.  Happens I quite like that one so I'm eager to get to it.  I just happen to need to get through the current warp first.  Mostly it is a 'proof of concept' and it may get rejected as being anything I want to pursue.  The half-tones tend to blur the edges of the lines, which isn't a problem when you are playing with lines, more so when it is a motif that has a shape to it.  If you can't identify the shape, then the design simply does not work.  But I have all this red yarn to use up and fuzzy hearts might be quite suitable.  

But that's the thing with a journey.  Sometimes you go off the path because you followed a squirrel and sometimes the path peters out and you come back to the main trail.  But no matter what, you keep taking another step.  And another.  Until you are done.

No comments: