Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Distancing



I was going to go back to 'regular' programming today but there is one more thing I wanted to say about the current situation.

When people talk about 'social' distancing, what they really mean is 'physical' distancing.

We live in the age of the internet.  Most (not all but most) folk have cell phones, ipads or computers that connect to the internet.

Over the years, groups have grown on sites like Facebook for weavers (and others) to communicate with people near and far.  

We do not need to cut ourselves off from social discourse.  While we hunker down at home, we can stay in touch with friends both 'real' and virtual.

Now that borders are closing, shops are closing, it will be more important than ever to stay calm, stay in touch, stay focused on stopping this pandemic in its tracks, if at all possible.  It is NOT time to go to large gatherings.

As data is being collected and analysed the painful truth is that more people than thought are infected, some without showing symptoms, but shedding the virus on whatever they cough on and/or touch.

It is time to stay home and reflect on what is actually important.

I know, I know, easy for me to say - I'm retired, I have health care.  I have no elderly parents or vulnerable grand or g/grand children to worry about.

I am disappointed that events I was to teach at are either cancelled/postponed, or may be.  I am holding my breath to see if Convergence gets cancelled.  Even if it doesn't, the border is currently closed - but may open by July.  One most fervently hopes so.

But everyone will need to do their part.  Stay home if at all possible.  If you must go out, observe physical distancing - at least six feet.  

This morning I went to the bank because I had a US cheque I needed to deposit.  The teller commented that the banks may yet close to physical transactions.  I can do most of my banking on line, but I cannot deal with a foreign cheque so I needed to get that into the system before it became 'stale'.

I also stopped at the post office to check on homework - nothing today.  I'm assuming mail will continue as an essential service, but checking frequently to monitor the situation.

The quick stop at the grocery store took just a few minutes and most people seemed to be staying a good distance away from each other and I was quickly in and out with a few essentials that had not been available at the store Doug went to yesterday.  We are well stocked up on non-perishables.  They are also limiting the quantity of items of essentials which I was pleased to see.

There are dozens (literally!) of books in the house so the library closure won't hit us hard.  Doug may take the time to re-read his Terry Pratchett collection.  I am eye balling Dorothy Dunnett's books.  A friend died and I got some of hers and filled in the missing titles last year.  There is literally weeks of reading for each of us with no fighting!

I still have jigsaw puzzles and boy howdy I have yarn.  And spinning fibre.  And planned warps in the queue just waiting for me to get to them.

Hunkering down will not be a hardship for us.  

I hope it will not be a hardship for others and that governments will do what is needed to keep all of it's citizens safe, not just corporate bailouts which don't help anyone but the corporations.  This is a difficult time for many.  Let's lift each other up and make sure we are doing what we can for all.  On Twitter someone started a #covidkindness hashtag.  Think about what you can do for others, and if you can't do anything in particular, stay home and help flatten the curve.

2 comments:

ChristineK said...

You are SO RIGHT!
thank you!

Rachelle said...

For us here in NZ the main hardship in hunkering down is the food side of things, people haven't gone completely nuts here, but things are busier than usual and some things can't be had for love nor money. This is all very well for those who have the money to stock up, but those who live from pay to pay can't do that and at the moment finding what they'd normally buy can be hard. I too have a library at home (including all the Terry Pratchett books) and a Kindle so I can still get new books if I need to. There is a good sized stash (knitting, weaving, spinning and sewing); just hope I don't run out of zips or elastic!