Thursday, November 12, 2020

Interesting Times

 


craft fair set up from a few years ago

I have to say, I'm not feeling much regret about the decision to 'retire' and not do craft fairs anymore.

We are living in the 'interesting' times that are referred to in the curse 'may you live in interesting times'.

Pandemic.  Political unrest.  Not just in north america, but in many countries around the world.  Worsening climate changes.  One wonders what life will look like when all this (waves hands) is over.

We have an opportunity to make changes right now.  Changes that might be beneficial to more people.  To tear down institutional biases and make systems more fair and equitable.

This morning I saw a tweet from Dan Price - the CEO of a company in Seattle area.  He had made the decision a few years ago to draw less money from the company for himself and pay his employees a much higher rate of pay.  In fact, he decided that if he was going to pay his employees X per year, that is what his salary would be as well.  This morning he commented that his employees get unlimited time off and was surprised at how many people assumed that his employees would abuse that time off.  The thing is, it has been shown over and over again that an employee who feels respected and valued will be much more loyal than one who doesn't.

I have absolutely quit a job that was very well paying because the environment was toxic.  One of the reasons I decided to become a weaver was to work for my own self and not have to deal with male colleagues who were sexist.  And racist.  (Because if they were one, they were usually both.)

I could have made a lot more money working for someone else than I ever have working for myself.  But as long as I had 'enough' I was setting my own agenda, my own goals and directing my own work day.

In the end I have 'enough', and that is good enough for me.

But I admire and respect business people like Dan Price who build bigger tables.  




2 comments:

Peg Cherre said...

I, too, quit a well-paying job that was horrible-not necessarily to me, but to the people we were supposed to be serving. It was a job that people retired from, not one they quit. Even years later when I saw staff from that workplace they would all ask how I was enjoying my retirement, regardless of how many times I said I didn’t retire, I resigned and had many years of paid work ahead of me. A different scenario, for sure, but the underlying basis not all that different from yours. I didn’t have the power to make changes, despite my valiant efforts, so I left.

Laura Fry said...

Sometimes it is difficult - for a number of reasons - to leave a well paying job. Sometimes you just have to do it. Hugs.