Saturday, March 6, 2021

Deborah Chandler

 


I had a Zoom meeting with Deborah Chandler this morning getting comfortable with Zoom.  It was great to talk and learn more about her and I'm looking forward to her Zoom seminar tomorrow.

Just finished reading Jann Arden's book If I Knew Then and part of her 'message' was that good things come out of bad things.  That is not to say that we need to be happy about the bad things in our lives, but that we can look for the silver linings in those clouds.  A philosophy that I have lived by for a very long time.

So while the pandemic has been bad, some good things have come out of it.

Being able to talk to someone in Guatemala, or Peru, or Sweden, sharing our stories, sharing our photos, our textiles?  Definitely a good thing.

We talked about things that we are doing during the pandemic, her relief work in the highlands for the people who are, on top of the pandemic, dealing with flooding.  I talked more about how and why I decided to learn how to do Zoom (badly, but never mind) and work on the seminar series.

We talked about how amazing it is to reach across the continent, indeed around the globe, and be in touch with others.

We talked about building bigger tables, better understanding between folk and different cultures.  

It is a discussion I would like to have with more people, for longer and deeper, but it felt good to have that hour of connection.

We talked about continuing the series into 2022, and I am open to do that.  But that will have to wait a bit while I deal with my three study groups and continuing with the seminar series as it currently is.

The next one will be Deborah Robson, talking about Shetland.  I'm looking forward to that as well as the rest.  

Deborah Chandler's seminar registration is closed now, but Deborah Robson and Winnie Nelon's are still open with Stefan Mo:berg's opening in the next day or two.

The sun is shining here, spring is in the air (maybe, maybe not!) but I'm still not walking as I will wait until it is a bit more spring than it currently is.  Instead I am heading to the loom to weave my two towels of the day, then rough sley the warp for the Leclerc, then cut/serge the 8 towels and get them wet finished (if there is time or energy left in the day - time will tell).

No comments: