Sunday, March 28, 2021

Ready to Launch

 


This will be the next warp in the current series.  It has undergone multiple changes but it is time now to say ok, this is it.  So I will wind two spools of the variegated and then when the current warp comes off, likely Tuesday, this one will go on.  I don't think there will be any more edits, although never say never.

With the stated goal of working only from my stash, there are creative limits as to what I can use.  There has to be enough on the tube to wind a warp, for one thing, because if I run out, I run out.  This means sometimes I'm playing yarn chicken as I watch the yarn package melt away, anxiously counting how many more sections need to be wound.  so I know I'll be anxiously watching that smallest tube.  However, I have a variety of beiges of one sort or another, so if it does run out, I can substitute something else in.  And there is a two thread 'excess' so if it is only two sections short, I can just leave it out, no harm.

The weft for this warp has also changed a number of times.  Originally I was going to use the last of the beige cotton flake, then white for the rest.  But it turns out I have dark forest green and will also have black to use up.  So those will be woven first, then maybe the beige.  Those three colours might be enough to complete the warp, but if not there will be white.

The 2/8 goes away much more quickly than the 2/16 and I may start running out of sufficient quantity to use up all of the white cotton flake, at least on the Megado.  I can still do striped warps and weave them on the Leclerc.  I can wind 11 meter long warps and get 8 or so towels from each warp.

Bottom line?  I'll be weaving towels for a while.

I gave up working with 2/20 merc. cotton a while ago, in part because I was having trouble seeing the yarn to thread it.  However, if I go slowly and carefully, I might be able to use it on the Megado if I have enough tubes to wind a warp.  That probably isn't likely however.  So I'm trying to think of what else I can do with it and thinking perhaps weft on a 2/16 bamboo rayon warp, which would make nice scarves.  Or else it could be used as a tabby weft in something.  Ideas are still percolating and no conclusions have been drawn.

Not sure I will get to the loom today but Monday and Tuesday I don't have any appointments so I should be able to weave the last four towels.  Then Wednesday begin to set up the Megado with the beige warp.  3, 2, 1....

No comments: