Friday, December 31, 2021

Out With the Old

 


To end this...unprecedented...year, are weather events breaking records around the world.

There is a cartoon showing a group of people with a very long stick, looking carefully around a corner at the door marked 2022, and very gently poking the door open.   The unstated being that obviously what awaits us on the other side might well be more of the same.

Unfortunately, I suspect that is exactly what awaits us.  More extremes.  Of every kind.  As human beings we are going to have to stop thinking that things will get better on their own and begin working towards solutions to what is happening in and on our world.  Our one world.  Because there is no Planet B.

I saw someone comment on Twitter this morning that he could only do what he could do, and so he was going to keep on doing what he could.

It is a philosophy that I have lived with all my life.  I can't change the big things, but I can change the small things.  Maybe.  I won't know until and unless I try.

And so I set out on a new journey.  Well, I started last summer, but these Big Projects take time to come to fruition.  But now I am looking forward to the launch of my on line class The Intentional Weaver with SOS.  

One of the reasons I agreed to work with Felicia and her crew was the ability to interact with the people viewing the classes.  It's not in person, but it's as close as extreme climate and covid will allow right now.  

On line classes are not the same as in person.  We rely on the camera capturing the precise view that the student needs.  And sometimes it doesn't.  But I will be there to answer questions and perhaps explain, through words and static photos so that the student will gain understanding.

If you already have a copy of the book, it can be used as the 'textbook' because there is far more material in the book than the on line class.  We focused on specific skills for the class.  But, and here is why I'm kind of excited about SOS, they have asked me to do more classes.  And so I can look at other aspects of weaving and share them, too.

I am very grateful to the SOS team for the hard word they are doing to make the classes meet the needs of their students and the weaving community.  I am looking forward to continuing to teach via their platform and have begun crunching data and formats trying to work out the best way to do this on line.

If the student cannot come to the teacher, the teacher can come to the student - via the internet.

No, it's not perfect.  But it's something.  And if it helps one person learn more, then I'm happy to have been part of it.

The class will soft launch on Jan. 12.  If anyone is interested they can sign up for a three or 12 months membership using the link.

No comments: