Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Solstice

 



In many cultures the  coming of the winter solstice is also a celebration of light.  When the sun goes away, it needs to be enticed back and many people take comfort from lighting candles or decorating with lots and lots of light.

I don't remember where I first heard the above comment, but I remember it made a huge impression on me.  The fact that lighting someone else's candle from my own does not diminish me in any way?  Just made so much sense.

Plus, if I light another candle, not only does mine continue to burn, now there are two candles providing twice as much light.  And if we ALL lit even one more candle, then the light would grow exponentially.  Like a virus.

We are in some very dark times right now.  Two years of a pandemic that has killed literally millions of people, left others with long term health issues and now we enter the fifth wave.  And we need to stop the pandemic.

We are entering a new 'year'.  Another circle round the sun.  For us northerners, the sun will begin returning, while it leaves the southern hemisphere in darkness again.

But that's the thing.  It *will* come back.

And we can get through this pandemic if we just understand how a virus works.  That it is airborne.  That we all need to wear a mask to prevent the spread.  Get vaccinated to prevent serious illness and potentially death.

But that doesn't mean life stops entirely.  We still need to sleep, get up, try to do something positive, something loving, for ourselves and our planet.

I choose to weave.  To do it, to teach it.  

To that end, I was informed yesterday that my class The Intentional Weaver will launch on Wednesday, January 12, 2022.  Right now you can get a 15% discount on a 3 or 12 month membership at the School of Sweet Georgia - until Dec. 31, 2021.

Join me at SOS and we will take a deep dive into the science of creating woven cloth, and - in February - the Magic in the Water when that collection of woven threads becomes 'real' cloth.

Sending love and light to all on the returning of the sun once again.

1 comment:

Joy said...

Thank you, Laura for your willingness to share your expertise and your thoughts with weavers around the globe. You are a wonderful teacher and creator. I have been blessed to be in your study group and look forward to more classes.