Sunday, June 27, 2010

A Functioning Kitchen



Doug worked late last night but we got the stove and fridge moved back into the kitchen after he got home. While the kitchen isn't quite finished, it's at least functioning again.

Doug still has to finish the trim under the counters but I expect that he'll leave that until the hallway and bathroom are done.

He has 3 days off this week so I'm hoping that he'll be able to finish laying the floor. The trim can wait.

I bought a floor mat to replace the old one but I'm not sure I like it yet. The old one looks better than I thought it would on the cork so I may just shampoo it and put the new one in the bathroom. The old one for the bathroom really doesn't look good and needed to be replaced anyway.

With any luck Doug will help me put the dining room to rights now that the stove and fridge are no longer in that space. I'm hoping that we can deliver his g/aunt's chair to his niece when we drive down to Vancouver in July. And then I need to deal with the last dribbles of clutter that didn't get dealt with before Doug started ripping the floors out and laying the new.

7 comments:

Laura Fry said...

It's supposed to be easy to care for - it has 5 coats of finish on it. The store where we bought it has a recommended cleaner, but Doug talked to a tech who said Windex works just fine. Since it's a floating floor, you don't want to saturate the floor with liquid so a damp mop should be all that's required.

Cheers,
Laura

Susan said...

Oh, I'm with you on the chaos! I guess the trauma of our renovation is still too fresh :)

The cork floor looks great! We have a floating engineered walnut floor and use the Vileda mop and squeeze bucket. You can control how much water is used nicely and it seems to do a good job. I've been using Vim brand cleaner for wood floors. Just three capfuls for a bucket and it come up clean and no residue left behind. Floor shines like new again.

Great job!

Susan

Laura Fry said...

Hi Susan, your reno's were much more extensive than ours were this round. :) But I will be very happy to have this job wrapped up!

Cheers,
Laura

Anonymous said...

We have had cork floors in all of our houses and they are wonderful. I use a tiny bit Murphy's oil soap for a damp mop with a plain water rinse. When the floor began to look dull(years & years later) I used a liquid floor wax which brought it up beautifully again, but a good cleaning and another coat of the original polyurethane would probably be more long term.
You have such stamina - it amazes me how much you accomplish!

Laura Fry said...

Thanks Evelyn - good to know that it wears well. :) It was a bit of a leap of faith to re-do so much of the house with this flooring! :)

Cheers,
Laura
who doesn't feel like she's got much stamina at the moment - but hopefully soon. :} Two more weeks to wait (patience! patience!)

Sandra Rude said...

Congratulations on getting the kitchen appliances back where they belong - although you'll probably reach into the dining room for stuff in the frig for a while :-) I know I did after our kitchen remodel at the previous house. The entire contents of the kitchen cupboards was in boxes in the dining room, and whereas I knew exactly where everything was in the boxes, after it went back into the kitchen I couldn't find anything!

Laura Fry said...

Hi Sandra, that is so true! I've gone into the dr several times looking for the fridge. :^)

Have to finish removing clutter from the lr now. G/Aunt's chair will leave on the 11th which will help.

Cheers,
Laura