Friday, October 26, 2018

Table of Contents



Page two of the Table of Contents.

If you heard a squee, that was me, downloading the professionally edited rough draft of The Book.

I immediately hied myself to Staples, where I printed it out in all it's full colour glory.  And gulped at the price.  It was a cool $125 to print it out, double sided, hole punched, full colour, currently 204 pages, 160+MB file.

Given that, plus we still don't know final cost via the website, my checking the prices of other weaving books...and I'm going to have to go higher than planned in terms of retail price. 

Ruth has done a great job of detailing the contents on the contents pages (there are three), which should make finding what people are looking for a lot easier.

There is still work to be done but at some point you just need to see it on the page, especially if the whole point is to offer print-on-demand.

We are more or less set up for the first craft fair of the season.  Taking a closer look at the binder full of pages is going to have to wait until next week. 

But it feels like a huge hurdle has been cleared.

Currently reading Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie.

4 comments:

Louisa said...

Gee, that price sounds excessive! I could print it out on my inkjet for not much more than $20, even if I have to punch the holes myself! What kind of golden ink is Staples using? So exciting to see your manuscript for reals though!

Laura Fry said...

I have no idea, but that was the change. :(

Peg Cherre said...

Woo hoo! Another milestone reached!

Nancy said...

Given that color copies here in the US are running about 30 cents a page this is not surprising. But this doesn't reflect the true publishing cost involved in printing a bound book, where mass printing for multiple copies lowers the price per printed page. You are wise, Laura, to consider costs - is your publisher giving you the figures on the costs of a run of books? Have they made any recommendations based upon other books that they have printed in this genre? Is it up to you alone to market this book or are they contracted to help get it into the hands of stores, online sales, web and print ads, etc? I work for a business that deals with print, audio and video medias, and these are the considerations that we make, too!