Friday, August 2, 2019

A Little Good News



Yesterday the news broke that Handwoven, Spin Off and Piecework magazines have been purchased by Interweave founder Linda Ligon, Anne Merrow and John Bolton.

After months of uncertainty due to the Chapter 11 of F&W Media (with dozens of authors losing big amounts of money, myself included), to find out that this team is now in control of these magazines is a huge relief.

One of my goals for 'retirement' is to go back to experimentation and exploration, possibly writing for publication.  I am now much more at ease about offering articles to Handwoven, knowing that the magazine is in good hands.

At this point the weaving (and spinning and quilting) community will need to take a leap of faith and continue to support the magazines.

Publishing in the 21st century is a risky affair.  So many people expect to get things for nothing, but nothing good or lasting comes from nothing. 

As a self-publishing author, I know the back room efforts it takes to publish books and monographs.  A magazine is doing it multiple times a year, dealing with multiple authors, not just one.  Publishing standards are higher than ever with the new technologies.

As soon as I found out about the purchase I went to the Long Thread Media website and signed up for updates.  I expect the transition to Long Thread will go smoothly and that the magazine will continue without interruption.

My de-stashing continues as people check in and either arrange to purchase things or decline so I can continue on down the 'dibs' list.  This Sunday the pirn winder will go and there will be room to bring in a shelving unit to go into that space.  The dresser at the other end of the studio will also get carried up and out.  Thanks to a young man who will help lift and tote.  And then more shelving can come over from the annex to here, allowing me to sort the recently acquired silk.  I have had someone ask about silk yarns and if I have something she is looking for I will happily send some to her.

I have also been eyeing that shelving unit of rayon chenille, wondering if I really and truly want to weave it.  I don't know how many pounds there might be - easily 50, quite likely more - in various colours.

Marie Kondo got a lot of flak for her clutter reducing advice, but frankly?  I'm finding it a good measure of whether or not I actually want to keep something or if I'm ready to let it go to a new home.  And rayon chenille no longer brings me much joy.   So...

And in the end, not finding the joy in something tells me that I am probably ready to let it go.  There is no point hanging on to something when someone else can find the joy.

As one internet meme says - 'sprinkle that stuff everywhere'.

A Little Good News by Anne Murray

No comments: