Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Ms Megado



The photo is of a 32 shaft version but I decided to stick with 16.  I've been weaving with 16 shafts since 1982 when I got the AVL, and while there are times when more would be nice, decided that with elderly eye sight I probably couldn't see to accurately thread those last 16 shafts.  Not to mention the additional cost.  So, 16 it is.

This morning I got notification that 'my' loom is on Canadian soil and I should be getting a tracking number shortly.  I'm not sure how it's coming, but I assume by courier.  I'm just hoping we can arrange for some (younger) assistance for Doug to carry the boxes down the stairs to the studio.  And maybe even assemble it.

I'm not entirely sure I'm going to be happy with the Louet sectional beam tension box, so we kept the AVL box and rail and if I'm not, Doug has worked out a plan to install the AVL equipment on the Louet.  But I will do a test warp and try it to see.  I kind of desperately need shawls so the first warp will be 20 yards/meters of 2/16 bamboo (from Brassard) and I will try to use up some of my fine rayon stash as weft on the warp.  Then they will have to be fringe twisted and wet finished. 

I don't have much time on the slippery slope of the learning curve (accidentally typed 'curse' - oops?) so I'm hoping that it won't take long before I'm comfortable on the loom.  Ideally I'd like to have the test warp on and off the loom before I leave on my next trip, but that is most likely wildly optimistic!

The loom was purchased through Jane Stafford Textiles and the customer service has been great.

Doug and his helper are working on a shelving unit that will hold yarn.  The counter that held the photocopy machine was really taking up more space than necessary.  I think if I can get to the table in the opposite corner to clear it off, the photocopy machine can go live there.  But emptying the annex as quickly as we can means I need more shelving here so one wall will now have shelves floor to ceiling.  Then another couple of corners have also been cleared of what used to live there and will also get shelving.

In the meantime I work at using up as much stash as I can.  The less I have, the less I will be storing, and the sooner we can clean the annex out.  With the increase in rent earlier this year, it's getting way too expensive, especially as I shut my business down. 

Not doing craft fairs after this year means I don't need to be producing inventory, therefore don't need storage for it.  I won't need all the booth apparatus, either. 

As the decisions are made, the ramifications ripple through and I am anxious to get everything done as quickly as I can. 

Simplify, simplify, simplify.  I can hardly wait for a simpler life.

3 comments:

Peg Cherre said...

I hope your learning curve is short and shallow...never having used a computerized loom, mine would be long and steep, for sure!

Susan said...

The boxes can be sizeable and heavy so you may need to open upstairs and transport down in smaller loads. The centre portion with shafts (depending on the width you bought) will also be one piece as the shafts are set at the factory. The instructions are quite detailed and logical if you take it step by step. Get some saw horses to lift / hold the centre portion and then you build on from there.
Tell Doug to start weight lifting now to get ready!

Laura Fry said...

Thanks for the tips. He has sawhorses and will no doubt use them but it's good to know what to expect. :)