Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Last Ones


Just before I left, Doug got the last 11 tea towels I managed to weave on the AVL pressed.   I worked so hard on these towels wanting to not have skips in them.  I even unwove, not just once, but several times, trying to have some towels I could sell.   Not an inconsequential thing on an AVL with auto cloth advance, at 32 ppi.


And yet...those 11 towels are now eight because Doug found two towels with skips and I found another.   Any regret that may have lingered about getting rid of the loom evaporated, for good and all.

I still have some of the fine linen left and I will do more towels on the Megado, but I am low on scarf and shawl inventory so I will try to boost that before I go back to tea towels.  

The class has been delightful, as always.  I will miss coming, but not the travel.   

On the home front Doug has made progress.   The industrial sewing machine went elsewhere this morning and Doug will go back to shifting things in order to set up more shelving.  The work table has been made smaller.  The loom nearly together, just a few last things to do.

I’m hoping to be over my allergy issues before I head home so I feel like jumping onto what needs doing.   

Clearing up some ‘lasts’ so I can look forward to some new things in the new year. 




1 comment:

Laura said...

I'll be very interested to hear how you like the Megado.

I've just ordered a Weavebird from Tom Beaudet, because the treadling is too heavy on AVLs for me after a back injury, even the smallest WDL is difficult.

I was lucky enough to visit a new K series loom, and the treadling was light, but it was very expensive and includes a lot of new tech I don't trust yet. I think early adopter personalities will love it, as will people for whom getting up frequently is too difficult. Because the loom is proportioned for a shorter Weaver (many will be thanking the heavens at that), I found it a little awkward with my long legs and injury. I think the majority of weavers would find it pleasant though.

A friend encouraged me to come visit her AVL with the e-lift, and it was lovely, but the rhythm was hard for me to get used to. She says it gets easier with time. It's an expensive upgrade, though.

I tried an early Megado at a Convergence ages ago, I'm not sure if it had even been released yet. I think it was set up for taquete, and I couldn't treadle without my bottom sliding off the seat. This was pre-injury, so I never really considered it a contender. But I tried a Weavebird, I think at the same conference, and I was won over.

But I am not able to treadle it, either. The treadling is very light, but the treadle travel is huge. I am unable to lift my legs that high for long. So, as soon as I get it I will set about creating a new treadling arrangement. Tom Beaudet came up with a great idea, which I can build and test. I have another idea that may also work, and my husband has a third. I'm optomistic that at least one of us is right!

Here's hoping we both have many years of happy treadling ahead.

Laura