Saturday, May 23, 2020

Lighting Candles


We are living in 'interesting' times. 

An author I follow on Twitter commented the other day that he would rather write about 'interesting' times than live in them.  I responded that I would rather read about them than live in them.

This morning someone did a long thread on how she had been a libertarian as a teenager and young adult, and how the mind set of being 'right' meant you had to 'win' every argument, whether or not that argument actually made any sense in terms of living harmoniously with others in society.

(I paraphrase.)

She said that she now preferred to focus on the good that could be done, daily looking for people working to make things better for society as a whole instead of just arguing for the sake of argument, scoring points by 'winning' at all costs.

It has been something I realize I have done instinctively.  I do not share memes on social media mocking other people.  I do not (publicly) call people names.  (I reserve the right to vent my frustration at politicians and their supporters, in private, so that I don't spread my frustration publicly.)

I try to focus on the good being done.  But as the rise of the alt-right grows and spreads, it becomes harder and harder.

Statistics show that the alt-right is actually a small percentage of society.  They are, unfortunately, apparently willing to resort to violence, either verbally, or even physically.

In a society that is supposed to be built on 'Christian' values, I find this disturbing and upsetting.

And so I try to retweet and share the stories of people doing good things.  Helping each other.  Holding each other up, not punching down.

We are living in 'interesting' times.  What we do once the pandemic is controlled will determine how our society goes on.  I will continue to try to light candles, not extinguish them.

So far I have not been personally impacted by anyone I know becoming ill and dying.  I will continue to stay 'isolated' as much as possible.  I will wear a mask when I need to go out.  I have been slowly beginning to have physical visits, but only at the recommended 6 feet distance, out of doors.  Doug continues to do all of the errands, allowing me to stay at home.

This is a privilege I do not take lightly so I will continue to stay out of the line of infection as much as is possible.  I do not want to be a vector of spreading the virus.

I have some appointments next week where I must be there physically.  I will wear a mask.  I will - as much as I am able - protect myself and others from the spread of this virus.

And yes, I read Ayn Rand as a teenager.  Atlas Shrugged if I remember correctly.  Decided I didn't like any of her characters enough to read another of her books.  

No comments: