Saturday, May 9, 2020

Slowly, Carefully



I am going to miss my annual trip through the mountains this year.  Mount Robson is, well, majestic and rarely seen without a toque. 

The Rocky Mountains are always lovely, regardless of weather.  That doesn't mean I enjoy driving through them in bad weather, just that they never disappoint.

Yesterday for the first time since March 23 I had an in-person (physically distant) meeting with the cancer support group I belong to.

We are all immune compromised to some degree - some more than others.  The group leader is probably the most compromised, so we met in one of the local parks, brought lawn chairs and formed a circle with about six feet between each of us.  It was strictly social, a time for people who have been isolated, some by themselves, to have some face time contact.

Our provincial health officer is well experienced in the public health field, worked in Ontario during the SARS epidemic, and has been a calm guiding light during this time.  She and the government minister do daily updates.  Dr. Henry has quietly but effectively made the case for caution and while she has begun to loosen restrictions has been very clear that physical distancing will be in effect for months to come.

Yesterday word came down that Convergence will be cancelled.  My trip to TN will also be cancelled because frankly, I have no idea when non-essential travel to the US will be permitted.

People have been checking in on me and I reassure them that I'm mostly fine.  As an introvert with a deep stash, I have lots to occupy my time.  Plus books, although my focus is such that I'm not actually reading very much right now.  Not nearly as much as I expected, given how much I love reading.

We are very fortunate in these times that we have the internet.  We may be physically safe at home, but we can reach out to others at any time we wish by sending an email, leaving a message on Facebook, or other internet access.

Yes, my pandemic 'do' is shaggy but like I said to a friend the other day, there is no one I need to impress right now, and frankly, one's hair do is part of the superficial restraints we put on each other.

I have a very short hair cut because I used to production weave, about 5 hours or so a day of sweating.  That meant that at the end of the day I had to shower, and I did not want to go to bed with wet hair.  It was easier to just get it cut short and keep it that way.  I've grown accustomed to a wash and wear hair style and I doubt people would recognize me if I had long hair (again). 

So I'm  not going to contact my hairdresser to get me in anytime soon.  When she is ready I'm sure she will contact her clients (she's home based and may not want a parade of folk coming into her home studio). 

Yes, I've gained weight.  But like so many medical people have told me, being some ways 'overweight' doesn't mean I'm 'fat' but that I have 'resources'.  I will worry about my weight some other time.

In the meantime, I am walking fairly regularly and already I'm seeing improvement in my strength.  I've done the steep hill several times and managed better than anticipated.  The warmer weather means more people are out and about, so I may start wearing a mask, even just to filter out the pollen in the air. 

Today is our anniversary.  We will 'celebrate' another time, more to our choosing.  Because neither of us is particularly anxious to go to a restaurant.

Society is about to change - if it will.  We will remember Before and After the Covid like our grandparents remembered Before and After the 1918 influenza.

If you possibly can, stay at home.  Wear a mask if you need to go out where there are other people.  Take care to wash your hands, mask, keys, phone when you get home.  Survive.

2 comments:

Carol said...

Oh, Laura, I love, "Introvert with a deep stash." May I adopt that as the descriptor of my Covid19 existence? Nothing has said it better.

Laura Fry said...

Of course. ;)