Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Tortoise



Progress is progress, as they say, and I'm getting very near to done on this white warp.

(The group of yarns that are heading off at a different angle are surplus to requirements and are being hung off the warping valet mounted on the ceiling to keep them coming off the beam and out of the way.)

Life is slowly beginning to function again.  After pressing pause for four months our province seems to be coping - for the moment - with the coronavirus to the point that we are starting to figure out how to live with it.

As such, I have been able to book personal 'maintenance' appointments although so far Doug has been doing all the shopping and other errands like post office and library.

Most places have made arrangements to keep staff and public as safe as can be but Doug and I will continue to wear masks in public.

So much is unknown about this virus - does a person develop immunity?  How long does it last?  Will it be possible to have a vaccine?  Can science figure out a cure, not just try to deal with the symptoms, which are wide ranging and in many cases severe?

We must not become complacent even as we learn how to live with this new situation.

In the meantime I try to get to the loom for a couple of hours every day.  My yarns are beginning to get used up.  I have an inventory of tea towels and need to start thinking about other things.  My scarf inventory is pretty low as I managed to sell off a lot over the past couple of years without adding very many more.

On the other hand, who knows if there will be sales opportunities, or people with disposable income willing to buy?

So much uncertainty.

The only way through this time is one step at a time.  It's a marathon, not a sprint.  When I find myself overwhelmed I remind myself that I can pause and regroup.  You can't pour from an empty cup.  Put your oxygen mask on before trying to help others.

All those cliches that are true.

Stay safe at home.  If you need to go out, wear a mask.  Maintain physical distance.  Wash your hands when you get home.

No comments: