Saturday, September 12, 2020

Cataracts, Colour and Vision



Two years ago I was told I had 'baby' cataracts.  This year the optometrist observed that the one in my right eye was growing and that I could expect to have it removed in two to three years. 

I know from friends who have had cataracts and then had them removed that as they grow, a yellow cast is given to colours viewed.

What I didn't know is that at times a cataract will not grow consistently, but will have areas of thick and thin, which adds distortion into the mix.  While I don't *think* there is yellow (how would I know?) I do have the distortion.

It was after being told that the cataract in my right eye had these areas of thickness and thinness that I realized my ability to thread a needle and repair things in the cloth was being adversely affected.

It is getting harder and harder for me to see, to focus at close range, due to the distortions.

This will be an additional challenge because these distortions can also cause increased halos around lights making driving at night more and more difficult.  I am already noticing these halos getting worse.

So in this pandemic year not only will I be self-isolating due to that, I will also not be driving after dark.  Which will make winter all the more challenging.

It will also impact my weaving practice as I begin to observe the effects of the cataracts and work around them as best I can.

It is one reason I'm working so hard to use up my 2/16 cotton stash - making colour selections while I am still confident that I am seeing what is really there, not through a veil of yellow.

As they progress, I will go back to more simple arrangements - solid colour warp, solid colour weft, and use more 'fancy' twills.  Things I know will work together well when I can't rely on my vision to give me accurate information.

I am working on my 'last' puzzle (for now) and when that is done, the table will be cleared off and the spinning wheel will come out.  It is time to start spinning more yarn.  I have worked my way through the majority of my orphan yarns knitting shawls and now I have a gigantic stash of shawls to get rid of.  One way or another.

So my goal with the next hand spun yarns will be to knit up cowls.  The weather forecasters are predicting a wild winter and something to keep necks warm, something that can be pulled up over the lower part of the face, if necessary, seems like something that might come in useful.

As life circumstances change, we must change as well.  The medical/scientific community is saying that a vaccine might be possible for Covid by next summer.  It will then take time to distribute that vaccine and get it to the general population by 2022.

In the meantime, life goes on.  Cataracts grow.  Other health issues do not go away just because the world is dealing with a viral pandemic.

Stay safe at home if you can.  If you must go out, maintain physical distance of at least 6 feet.  Wear a mask if you can't.  Wash your hands. 


2 comments:

Melissa said...

That sounds like a good plan! I often think about how important a role my vision plays in my textile work. When my close vision changed around 50, threading a loom was a big challenge for a year or two until things settled down. Now I rarely wear contact lenses because taking off my glasses gives me great close up vision.

Sharon said...

I was told several years ago that I had baby cataracts and just had them removed in June because I not longer could safely drive at night. What a different it makes. The world is a much brighter place and colors are more vibrant. It also changed my vision. I no longer need distance correction, at least for now. I’m aware that might change too but what a pleasure to see clearly. Don’t wait too long!!