Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Mystery Loom




Yesterday I posted a photo of a pile of sticks saying it was a loom and the magic of the internet provided me with a maker - Hammett.

Looking at the photo and drawing I found with a simple 'Hammett loom manual' search, I'm pretty sure that the loom is, in fact, a Hammett.

I printed out some info for the new owner and someone else said they might have a crank that would fit it.

And this is why, in spite of all the negatives about it, I love the internet.  The World Wide Web.

Without it, that pile of sticks would have remained a mystery.  Instead we have photos and a possible site for more info  should the new owner wish to follow up on it.

The Hammett is not a loom I have come across before although I remember seeing ads for it in old weaving publications.  I had no idea one would have been in storage for a decade in a tiny village just a couple of hours drive away.  Would love to know the story of that journey.

Other reasons to love the internet - staying in touch with friends far away.  Being able to access resources that would have been out of reach without it - like http://handweaving.net

The Mary Black archive.

Special interest groups.

We live in 'interesting' times.  Some of those times are beneficial - others not so much. 

But I will continue to try and lift people up, help them when and where I can.  I will stay at home as much as possible - for months if necessary - because I still have stuff I want to do, even if that doing will be at home.

My local guild is working on expanding programs by looking at internet options - on-line seminars.  A number of teachers are beginning to offer seminars and classes on line.  Why so long?  Because it takes time.  And money.  And good internet.  Not everyone has the technology skills to pull it off effectively.  You only have to take a gander on You Tube to see some less than helpful videos.

Speaking of which, I need to share my You Tube channel with you - I have about 24 short clips about various aspects of weaving.  Remember that I am very much an amateur when it comes to video making - be kind! 

Long Thread Media purchased the DVD collection back from Interweave when F&W declared bankruptcy and now has them as on-line classes.  The above link is to 'just' the weaving ones.  I got an email yesterday from them indicating that I might actually have a royalty payment coming, so thank you to those who have taken a 'class' with me remotely.  :)

Yes, we live in 'interesting' times. 

Stay safe.  Stay well.  Keep weaving/spinning/etc.

No comments: