Saturday, September 9, 2023

Find a Publisher (they said)

 


This morning someone posted the payment rates for music streaming services with the comment that across all platforms they earned, on average, about $30/month.

Per *month*.

They commented that when they perform live they offer CDs for sale, but many people will ask for which streaming service they can download their music from and they know that they will receive a pittance.

I felt that comment even though I'm not a musician.  I am, however, an indie producer of writing, who has chosen to self-publish all three of my 'books' and frequently smaller monograph type publications.

When I'm online, I frequently see authors who share photos they have received of their books 'in the wild'.  They will share book reviews from satisfied readers.

Welp.  I invited people to send me reviews (if they liked the book).  So far I've seen one or two Stories from the Matrix photos in the 'wild'.  I have had quick notes from people as they received their copies, but so far?  No reviews I can share (word of mouth), here or elsewhere.

I can only conclude that Stories has been a major disappointment to those who bought their copies.  But that is my Inner Critic rubbing salt into wounds.  I know that many people read this blog and never comment here, but have taken the time to either tell me in person (when I used to travel to teach) or emailed and thanked me for my writing.

I have had people let me know when Magic has (re)sold, quite frequently at an equal or even much higher price than what I charged back in 2002.  Obviously some people still think it is/was a valuable resource.  

And I know that frequently word of mouth never travels back to the creator.

But in the absence of (much) feedback...

So here's the deal.  Send me a photo of a copy of one of my books in your studio, or on a weaving adventure, or a book review, and I will collect them and then choose one to receive 2 free tea towels.  It's a contest!  Everyone loves a contest ammirite?

How long will this contest last?  Until Canadian Thanksgiving, which is Oct. 9, 2023  midnight.  That gives you the time to read (reread) one of my books, take a fun photo, write a short blurb, and EMAIL to me, laura at laurafry dot com

If you send more than one such entry, (I *have* written 3 books, after all) your name will get put into the draw as many times as you send entries.  Sending such an entry automatically gives permission to use what you send on my social media - anonymously, as in I will not use your name, just initials.

In the meantime I'll be over here banging out an article to go with the sectional beaming class at School of Sweet Georgia, to be launched in November...(while my editor works on a 4th 'book', potentially to launch on Dec. 2.)

What the hell, if I can't weave (much) I can still bang away at the keyboard...

1 comment:

Meredith said...

That’s still plenty of time!

I need to wait for my next check to buy them, I have the Blurb page open in another time. Trying to be better about budgeting.