Sunday, March 3, 2024

Aftermath

 


This morning I did a presentation for a guild via Zoom.  As part of the presentation, I was going to do some fulling, so I covered the Megado with plastic in case of any water spatter (a potential problem).  There were stacks of samples to show and discuss, a stack of books, more samples, the pre-wetted out 'scarf' to full.  During the presentation (which had a break part way through) I also grabbed the box with the cold mangle, plus other tools I tend to commonly use - brushes, rolling pin, samples of actual Fuller's teasels, and non-Fuller's teasels that people so frequently claim are the real deal - but they aren't.  

I couldn't find the small wooden folding table so I set up one of the old metal ones - which promptly collapsed - but made the point.  Fulling isn't always 'gentle'.  Sometimes, there has to be force used.

Now?  Now I have to put all of that away again.

A presentation like this might seem like very little preparation goes into it, but that perception is wrong.  Most teachers will spend time thinking about what they have to say, then tailor their content to the available amount of time.  In this case I had 2.5 hours, so I could add in a lot more detail, share points of trivia, share more samples, talk about more books, than there is usually time for.

And now that it's over?  The clean up needs to be done.  

I had hoped to get to the loom today, but I didn't sleep all that well and was up early - for me.  I think the most I can do is clean up this mess, then press the 10 towels ready for pressing (8 of which have sold) and then maybe get to the post office on Tuesday.  I have other obligations on Monday, plus another Zoom on Tuesday, so I get to do this all over again.  :)

But I also want to get this warp off the loom this week, so I'm hoping I can do two weaving sessions on Monday, and maybe one on Tuesday.  It looks like 6 more towels can be woven on this warp and then it will be cut off and the next warp beamed.

In the meantime, Brassard says my yarn order was ready to be shipped.  I don't have an email notifying me of the tracking number yet, so it may not leave Quebec until Monday.  And then it takes about 10 days to get here.  

There will be time for me to think about how I want to use the new linen from Lithuania and hope I chose the 'right' colours for the warp.  Theoretically it should look nice, but you never know until you start weaving.

Better go shift all that rubble back to where it belongs and press those towels.  That might be all I accomplish today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Busy, much?!?