Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Thoughts on Creativity

 


As I worked through the iterations for the 'matrix' series, I was always cognizant of the fact that somewhere, some place, some other weaver had likely stumbled upon this technique.  So, no, I don't claim that I 'invented' it.  What I did was build upon my knowledge and skills and step by gradual step, I wound up with something I was pleased with.  

The above photo is from early in the series as I was exploring the potential for moving the twill 'line' direction, here, there, trying it out virtually, then, when I felt I had something that would be pleasing, getting it into the loom, then wet finishing it.

Because you never really know the quality of the cloth until you wet finish it.

There are people who don't want to 'follow the rules' of weaving, which is their prerogative.  They don't like to create artificial limitations because they feel that hinders their creativity.  And that is their journey, and a perfectly valid one for them.

But it is not mine.

My preference is to do some mental 'weaving', considering this, that and the other options involved in bringing threads together to make cloth.  I do this with bobbin lace as well.  I'm pretty adventurous with bobbin lace, but I *always* have a plan - a 'pricking' - that I work from.  I may adjust on the fly.  I may ignore some rules, and adapt some things, sometimes.  But I am well aware that I am deviating from the 'rules'.  I also know that my deviations are not likely to be noticed by anyone other than a more skilled lace maker than I am.

Does this make me less creative than someone who throws all the 'rules' out the window?  Perhaps.  Does it make me the 'better' weaver?  Not necessarily.  

There are many roads one can choose.  I chose the path that seemed to fit me the best, given my intention to produce textiles for sale.  (Yes, I've sold bobbin lace items, but everything I'm making right now will be donated to the guild.  If it sells great, if it doesn't, it's fine.)

But to say that in order to be creative you have to throw out *all* the rules?  Seems to be just as rigid as those who say you *must* follow all of their rules.

I made my own choices.  I don't follow all of the 'rules' that were taught to me as a beginning weaver.  When something seemed to be hindering my progress, I thought the processes through and adjusted what I was doing.

So, no, I don't chain my warps.  I don't tie 'choke' ties every yard.  (I tie a few gathering ties, but they are not 'choke' ties.)  I don't have a plain weave structure at the selvedge, and I even have floats of up to 5 (sometimes more if the thread is fine enough) at the selvedge.

And yes, I wove on a loom with a dobby and fly shuttle and *still* called my textiles hand woven - because according to the Canadian legal definition of 'hand' woven, the AVL qualified.  (Each and every action of the loom must be initiated by the weaver.)

So, if you belong to a group that has hard and fast 'rules' about things, you might want to consider if all of those rules are applicable to you.  If not, figure out what is best for you and do that.

Because change one thing, and everything can change.


If you want to know how the matrix series came to be, I shared drafts in Stories from the Matrix, available here.

3 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

Rules are often there for good reason!

Laura Fry said...

I've learned that rules are sometimes just habit. If something doesn't make sense to me, I will try to work around it, see if it really applies. Sometimes it doesn't. :)

CallunaFarmStudios said...

Smiling. Enjoyed your post and philosophy. Thank you for sharing. I too like to push boundaries of some "rules". Candy Hargett