So, I am back to weaving with yarn of relatively high linen content - during winter - with low ambient humidity.
Yesterday I dressed the loom with another tea towel warp on the small loom and wound bobbins for weft. The weft yarn is a cotton slub plyed (plied?) with a singles linen. It's fairly co-operative but not so much when the humidity drops as it does here in the winter. The filled bobbins were placed in one of my humidors and allowed to 'steep' overnight. Hopefully by the time I get to the loom, the yarn will have picked up enough moisture to be friendly.
Wait - did I just say I worked on Christmas Day? Why, yes, I did. I finished the red place mat warp in the morning, had lunch, then rough sleyed and dressed the loom before we left for Christmas dinner.
When your work is your play...every day is a potential work day. Or play day.
I also pushed through the next stumbling block on the writing and started the next section. I have pretty much covered setting up the loom (the way I do it) and have begun discussing weave structures. I'm hoping the next bit goes fairly quickly because I have published articles on various weave structures and should be able to mine my own writing for content.
Word count stands at 19,000 and 40 pages - without the photos/diagrams that will be added later. Given the space needed for those, the page count is actually nearly double that, I think. I won't know for sure until they get added in.
A friend is coming for a visit in exactly three weeks (yay!) and my goal is to have enough written that she can take a look and give me some feedback. I'm also waiting for feedback from a brand new weaver, to see if any of it makes sense to her.
Currently reading Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine