Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Payday


It has been quite the year.  It started with this warp.  Then I kind of stumbled my way through the months.

My goal was to use up stash, and in that regard I did succeed in using up some of my yarns.  But I didn't make the things I really needed.  So I am 2/3's of the way through my craft fair season, having done two out of the three major shows I am doing, low on shawls and place mats.  I always seem to under estimate how many mats I need.  As for the shawls?  I just didn't have the energy.  

Another way to look at my season is that I have done five of the 10 sales days.  So, reckoning that way, I'm really only half way through my season. 

As a craftsperson I work all year getting inventory ready.  Bills come in, money goes out.  And hopefully these three shows will be my 'pay day'.  

But you never really know how things will go.  

So...plan B is to get home, take beauty shots, update my 'shop' on the Circle Craft website.  Because I'm pretty sure there will be tea towels left over at the end of this fair. 

3 comments:

Peg Cherre said...

It is impossible to guess what will sell, in what colors. I make what I can and hope it's 'right.' It's the best we can do.

Brenda said...

That's why I quit doing inventory work back when I was weaving full time. Didn't like the risk and couldn't afford the required stock. I had a few pieces for the local craft fairs: table runners, floor mats, even saddle blankets (great way to use up Suffolk fleeces) and took a lot of custom orders. It's always a gamble.

Sandra Rude said...

Yep, it's a gamble, and like Las Vegas, the house always wins, not the artist. No matter what you make, the customer will always ask for something else! I'm kinda glad Mike and I are retiring from the show circuit, in favor of local galleries and exhibits. I will miss getting the first-hand feedback from customers, but not the physical labor and hours in the van and hassle of setup/teardown. I admire you for keeping at it, and for putting in the hours to create products that your customers love. (I'd rather weave what I love :>)