Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Back to the Future



As a weaver/writer/teacher I am constantly working on things that won't actually happen until some time in the future.

In this case, I'm working on a suite of samples for an article/project for the Nov/Dec 2018 issue of Handwoven.  Yes, the lead time for magazine articles can easily be 9 months.  Since I also have to mail them, I cannot wait until the deadline the magazine needs to have them to mail.  I have to get them done, project notes written up and all, into the mail well before their deadline to receive my materials.

I am also working on inventory for craft fairs - happening in Oct. and Nov. of this year.

I am also working on The Book, hopefully to be ready in time for Christmas purchasing.  Yes, this year.

I am also working on a conference to be held in June of 2019.

There is no instant gratification involved in what I do.  Ever.

Weaving cloth is, by it's very nature, time consuming.  If I needed instant gratification I would never have managed to be a weaver.  Or a writer.  Or a conference planner. 

My days are filled with thinking about what will happen in the future.  What I need to do to make the event, the thing, happen so that it is ready in time.

As for the explanation of the pictured sample?  You'll have to wait until the Nov/Dec issue of Handwoven!

4 comments:

Nancy said...

I so totally get what you're talking about! In my day job in syndicated broadcasting I'm working now in the now.... and also in January 2019. And as this year's guild workshop person, I"m looking at June.... 2019. Do you find that sometimes it's hard to remember the actual day's date? :)

Laura Fry said...

All the time. Which is why I have several types of calendars and planners. And regular 'dates' to remind me that it's - oh, Wed! Knitting drop in!

Brenda said...

I have a hard job of it sometimes to explain publishing deadlines to people. Have worked in the biz from all aspects, writing to design and pre-press and now full circle with writing. Most people of course have no idea the amount of work going into a printed production... or a spun/woven one for that matter! Been laid low this week with gallbladder woes so the silk spinning is set aside for now. Did get my last 6 articles and photos submitted before going to ER though. How's that for skewed priorities.

Laura Fry said...

We do what we can, as we can, when we can. Deadlines are what keeps me getting out of bed in the morning. Hope you feel better soon.