Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Winter of our Discontent

 



The trees have mostly shed their leaves now and we are poised for the first snow.  We have our winter gear sorted out (Doug still needs new boots, but things have been a bit busy), and we are mostly ready.  Or will be once the new HVAC is installed, scheduled to begin this morning.

In an effort to protect myself, I will be decamping to the guild room with my hemming pile.  Because hardly anyone is masking and it is just flat out easier for me to remove myself than to insist on the crew masking.

Tomorrow the guild room will be busy with craft fair set up, so I guess I'll hide out in the office with my mask on while I'm at home.  I have two appointments so will be out for a while.    

I was in my 30s when I heard the curse 'may you live in interesting times'.  Since I lived through the Cold War, plus lots of smaller conflicts, I assumed that I'd already had a life of 'interesting'.  I didn't count on the rise of the alt right and christofascist movement, hell bent (word chosen on purpose) set on making everyone else obey their 'rules'.

In some ways I wonder why we are spending all this money on HVAC when so many people continue to whiff away climate change and what needs to be done to help slow that.  But I cannot control anyone else, I can only do what I can do.

So yes, we are having a heat pump installed with natural gas backup for those days when the temps dip below -20C - as they can do around here.

There are so many things 'wrong' in this world, things I have zero control over.  So I do what I can, when I can.

And I keep creating.  I keep putting positive energy out into the world by weaving, and teaching weaving.

And hope that we can come to our senses and start to work together to solve the things that are wrong instead of ignoring them.

I don't feel like this post today is very positive or helpful.  I just keep on, keeping on, doing the best I can.  Love and light to all who need a bit.




3 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

Keep on keeping on.

Loomacy and Lace said...

Take a step, however that looks for you, and no matter how small - repeat... it's all any of us can do.

Juli S said...

I really resonate with your act of putting beauty out into the world. Why else would we keep up this ancient craft of weaving?