Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Number 7

 




 
By my reckoning, this is Covid #7.

I long ago lost count of how many flu vaccines I've been given, so when people scornfully ask how many *more* covid jabs am I going to subject myself to, I tell them as many as it takes.

This morning the pharmacist and I chatted while they prepared the syringe, and I told them I'll keep getting them for so long as they are being offered.  Given I'm immune compromised, I want all the protection I can get, which means masking, isolating, distancing AND vaccines.  Because this virus mutates, frequently and in new ways that keep making it dangerous for people like me.

I told them I'm old enough to remember when the polio vaccine came in a pink sugar cube and yes, I have a smallpox scar, but it's on my right arm due to drama while I was getting my shot in the arm.  Not from me, but from one poor kid, phobic about needles.  In the midst of the kafuffle, the nurse grabbed the nearest arm, which happened to be my right, and jab.  One thing about the kid's meltdown, there was plenty of distraction to get jabs into lots of other arms.

If I could have gotten measles and mumps vaccines, I would have happily missed out on getting sick from those particular diseases, too.  And chicken pox with the resulting shingles, especially the last shingles outbreak which was truly horrible and I don't wish that on my worst enemy.

But I'm old enough there weren't vaccines for those when I got sick so...old-fashioned 'get sick, see if you recover'.  I was fortunate in that I did survive.  

The other night on the news it was announced that about 40% of seniors in BC have NOT had Covid while everyone else?  Only 20% have managed to dodge Covid.  And of those seniors who DID get Covid?  A much higher percentage of them died than younger folk.

Well, I'm a senior AND immune compromised and I'm damned if I get sick from a preventable disease by not doing everything in my power to protect myself.  Just like I wear eyeglasses (so I can see) and hearing aids (so I can hear better), I always wear a seatbelt, sunglasses and a hat when in the sun.  I never did take up smoking (yes I tried - a couple of times - and decided I detested it).  I don't drink much and I certainly do NOT drive if I do.

So why are my efforts to remain Covid free considered 'living in fear' - or as someone has flat out said, 'your paranoia about Covid isn't healthy'.

Frankly I consider their denial of Covid as being an actual real hazard to health confusing.  I get that we didn't know the extent of the danger from long term health issues, but now?  About 20% of people who get Covid get Long Covid.  While those may seem like long odds, not worth worrying about, why not ask someone with Long Covid how much fun it is?  With every re-infection, the risk of developing Long Covid becomes greater.  I know several people who are dealing with Covid after effects - diabetes, yes, but other things like bone crushing fatigue, brain fog, kidney damage, vascular damage.  And all those young, supposedly healthy adults suddenly falling over dead from 'undiagnosed heart issues'?  Strokes?  And no, I can't 'prove' it's because of Covid, but...one does wonder...

I already have way more challenges with my health - I do NOT need to add more.

So I will continue.  Masking, isolating, distancing, NOT eating out, NOT going to concerts, NOT going to house parties, hugging, talking, laughing.  Oh how I miss the hugging, talking and laughter.

But. 

But.

I'm immune compromised.

I am NOT wanting to die or become sicker/more disabled than I currently am.

See you in 6 months, next Covid shot.  I'll be there with my sleeve rolled up...


1 comment:

Crazy Mom! said...

I'm a big proponent of vaccines! Just got the latest Covid plus RSV - will let my MD give me the latest flu one.

I too am old enough to have gotten a polio vaccine on a sugar cube (the vaccine was pink) and I have a small pox scar on my upper thigh. And I had mumps, measles, and chicken pox.

I fail to understand people's reticence in getting vaccines. They are proven to save lives and prevent disease, plus insurance pays for them!

I had a friend who was immunocompromised (transplant) who died after getting chicken pox. Immunizations save lives.

Good for you.