Saturday, October 7, 2023

Economies

 


Set up, ready for beaming

Last week I was trying to get prepared for the days after the SI joint injection.  I was nearing the end of the current warp, trying to figure out if I would/could get it done in time to beam the next warp before the injection.

As the days counted down I became convinced that I probably could get the warp off, especially when I realized what was left on the beam was, very likely, less than what I needed for one more towel.

The beam on the Megado is just 14.5" in circumference, and my towels generally require between 40 and 44 inches of warp.  By the time I factor in take up, dimensional loss during wet finishing, and the hems, I need that much to get a towel about 30-32" in length.

Doubtful there was that much left on the loom, I cut the warp off.

Yes, I could have woven until I couldn't and wound up with a towel that was shorter than I wanted, but why?

I took 20 towels off the loom - I didn't need an 'orphan' that was off size.  Goodness knows, WE have plenty of towels, and I have lots ready for sale.  My seconds get given away to friends, and yes, I could have woven that last bit of warp and then given it away.

OR, I could do what I did - cut the warp off, which then gave me time to beam the next warp before the injection.

Because I don't like playing yarn chicken and running out, nor do I like spending my time making something that is just going to be given away, when I can invest my time in producing a new warp where I can make things I *can* sell.  (I make enough oopsies that I already give plenty of stuff away - I don't need to be making more just to give it away because it isn't sale-able.)

The yarn I would have 'wasted' by trying to get one more towel out of that warp plus my time, seemed like a poor way to spend both my money and my time.

Out of curiosity, I weighed the thrums and there were 3.75 ounces of yarn that went into the recycle bin.  (I give my thrums to another craftsperson - they don't go into the landfill.)

I don't remember the current price I pay for Brassard cotton, but I think it's around $8 for 8 ounces.

So, what I threw into the bin was about $3.75.  About the cost of a fancy coffee at Starbucks.

And yet?  People urged me to not 'waste' that yarn, but weave it down, whatever I made could be used for something.

Yes, indeed, it could.

But I would have spent my time doing it while instead I now have a new warp beamed, ready to be threaded, as soon as I feel able to do so.

As weavers we need to be aware of where we spend the coin of our time, not just what is in our bank account.  I learned a very long time ago that I could always earn more money, but once my time had been 'spent', there was no getting it back.  During these twilight years of my life it has become even more obvious that my time is limited.  I don't want to 'waste' my time doing stuff that I don't enjoy, just so that I don't 'throw away' a few dollars of yarn.  I need to preserve my time AND my energy, both of which are in short supply these days, and can never be recovered once spent.

That said, I DO still need to sell my stuff.  Which is why I have a ko-fi account where I can list things for sale.

I cannot explain how much it means to me that other weavers continue to buy my textiles.  It is a great compliment and I treasure it.

My first weaving instructor would buy towels from me.  At a craft fair one year, she was purchasing some towels and one of the other guild members came by and expressed astonishment that our teacher would buy towels from me when she could make them herself.

She turned to the other weaver and said (and I paraphrase) "Yes, I *could* weave them, but look at them!  I'll never work with 2/20 mercerized cotton like this!  So, yes, I'm buying Laura's towels."

It was a message I took to heart.  We don't have to do everything ourselves.  We can work with what we want to work with, while still appreciating (and supporting) the work of other weavers.

So for those weavers who DO like to play yarn chicken and use up every inch of warp?  Go you!  Do what you want to do.  Find your joy.  Do what brings you pleasure.  But you can also change your mind if and when circumstances change.  Because as time goes by, sometimes our priorities need to change, too.  And it's ok to change, to prioritize something else.

As far as the injection goes - I was warned the pain could be 'worse' after the lidocaine wore off, so not to be surprised if I had higher pain today.  So, I'm not surprised, but I am a bit disappointed that I do have more pain today.  However, I have a load of towels ready to be pressed.  I will try threading again, see how it goes.  But I will try really hard to NOT stress my back and if it takes me all weekend to get the warp threaded, so be it.

1 comment:

Juli S said...

Here's hoping that the injection begins to work soon!