Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Deadlines

 


I've always lived my life with 'deadlines'.  It's how I got stuff done.  Even when the 'deadline' was arbitrary - as in, me, saying I want this thing done by that date.  Completely arbitrary.

But if I didn't make a commitment by setting a deadline?  That thing was very likely to not get done at all.

The year of 2023 has been a year of cleaning up the not arbitrary deadlines.  The ones I agreed to, to meet someone else's scheduling.  Generally I enjoyed such projects because I always *always* learned something.  

As I get older, the need for me to accomplish things grows less.  I still want to do stuff, but the spoon drawer is frequently empty - or nearly.  I consider how much energy I have and frequently find myself looking at my task list and...I donwanna.

I suppose this is an indication of aging - paring back on what I do and not being too bothered that I am barely productive these days, compared to what I used to be.

Recently a 'new' friend commented that it seemed like I was always starting a new warp and they were always amazed at how productive I was.  I laughed at the thought that my current level of productivity was anything to be amazed at.

OTOH, I can still weave, and I will continue to weave for the benefits it brings - the mental health, yes, but the physical as well.  Even at the much reduced pace I can manage, Fitbit still thinks that when I'm weaving I'm 'swimming' and credits me with aerobic activity.  This aerobic activity every day (at least I try to do it every day, some days I don't quite manage to get to the loom), is beneficial for my heart health.

I'm supposed to be getting an MRI (soon?  Still no booking date but estimate was sometime in November) and the issue of the stents in my heart rose.  In one of my clean ups I came across the file with my cardiac information and the type of stents I have.  Apparently they are not metal, so it looks like I should be able to have the MRI after all.  I'll give the information to the doctor and let him know, the next time I talk to him.

Because I would like to get the MRI and find out the level of damage in my lower back.  Then see if that will change the approach to my living with the damage.  

I had hoped to get the current warp off the loom and wet finished before the HVAC installation Nov. 1 and 2.  That may not happen as personal maintenance appointments have gotten stacked up for the next 10 days and I may not feel up to getting to the loom.  Like tomorrow with the cancer blood draw (please, let me still be in remission - I don't think I can cope with anything else right now) and then dental hygiene.  But who knows, I may be able to get to the loom at least once.  

We have help coming on the weekend to finish prepping the clean storage room for the work.  I've cleared away the goat trails and now the shelves need to be draped with plastic.  

In the meantime, winter creeps ever closer.  All around us people are reporting snow, but it looks like another week of partially cloudy for us.  The temperatures are dropping and we are getting frost every night now.  Really relieved the new heating system will be running soon.

And just a head's up.  After an anonymous poster left...weird/unsettling...comments on one of my posts, I have enabled moderation for comments.  I am not sure I can block an anonymous poster, but at least I don't have to allow them to be obnoxious on my platform.  This isn't the first time, and usually such...folk...go away if they can't satisfy their urge to...do whatever it is they think they are doing, so I will remove the moderation at some point and see if they come back.  In the meantime, your comments let me know that you are reading and appreciating what I'm posting, so please don't let the moderation put you off contacting me.

And speaking of contacting me, the contact form on my website appears to be working now, so you can contact me that way, as well.

No comments: