Thursday, April 14, 2011
A Little Wobbly
Anyone remember those inflatable toys - usually a clown? They had a weight in the bottom and you blew them up and then over active little boys could punch the willies out of them and they always bobbed up again, ready for the next punch? My brother had one - don't remember what they were called, although I must admit I'm beginning to feel a little - a lot? - like one. And wondering how many times Life can smack me down before I deflate and stop staggering upright again.
But today I got some good news, news that gives me hope that I can and will keep bobbing up again. I'd done a little reading on the internet so that I didn't go into the appointment with the oncologist completely ignorant. But what I'd read wasn't great so I was prepared for some not-so-great news.
Instead I got some hopeful news. Yes, I will be getting chemo. Yes, I can expect to lose my hair. (cringe)
But the chemo I will be getting won't be the really horrible stuff that makes people sicker than anyone has a right to be in order to get well. In fact it should not incapacitate me too terribly much. Yes, it will be done here so I will have my own bed, my own bathroom (in case I am the exception and sick with it) and my toys for when I feel well enough to go play in the studio.
While I will get the details of treatment when I meet with the clinic team, he did say that I will receive two different drugs, likely one on day 1, one on day 2 - so two days a week for a while. In other words, lots of reading time coming up! Doug and I did not process the information the same way so we're not clear on duration, but I'm assuming weeks, possibly over the summer. In the meantime he's started me on another drug that will help prevent the build up of uric acid in my blood, preventing gout. I'm all for that!
The other news that I did not expect to hear was that he gives an 80-90% chance of remission for at least 2 years after treatment, more if he will be allowed to follow his protocol, which is different from the current protocol common here. I got the impression that he is more than willing to fight for his patients so I'm keeping fingers crossed that he will write that letter to the powers that be and that they will grant permission for him to follow his protocol with me. If not, oh well. It was just good to hear that this can be beaten back for a relatively significant period of time.
As for weaving, I haven't done a lot of that the last few days and won't likely for a few more. My ankle is fairly sore and because I'm using the fly shuttle on the shawl warps I need to use my left foot to activate the shuttle. It's feeling a little better this afternoon, in spite of the walking I did all over the hospital so I'm hoping that if I ice and elevate it this afternoon that by tomorrow it will be into recovery mode. Maybe even feel up to weaving on Saturday. But for that I will just have to wait and see.