If I taught a workshop/seminars at ANWG '19 would you be interested?

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Satisfaction



The beginning of the end...this is the last of the painted warps for scarves and it is now officially 'done'.  Weaving, that is.

Thinking a lot about Life and whatnot.  In the 1960's the Rolling Stones famously sang You Can't Get No Satisfaction.  For a while I believed that.  If anyone had told me that whether or not I was happy was based on the choices I would make, I would likely have sneered.  Happiness wasn't a choice - either Life was Good and you were, or Life was Awful and you weren't.

Well several decades have passed since then and I now realize that whether or not one is happy is, in very large measure, down to choice.

Come March of next year it will be 40 years since I made the fateful decision to give up everything I had been doing and become a weaver.  I don't know why I knew that was a good choice but what I discovered was that - while I'm 'poor' financially - I was to become rich beyond my expectations in terms of satisfaction.  Indeed, in that most rare of coins - happiness.

Weaving came to me at the persistent efforts of the universe, who obviously knew better than I did what I needed.  What I discovered was that weaving wasn't just about taking threads and making cloth.  Or, not just.

Weaving satisfies the creative thinker, the planner, the control freak, the mechanic, the athlete/dancer, the teacher/mentor, the author.  I even discovered the joy of certain parts of mathematics, much to my never ending surprise!  Weaving satisfies the tactile, the visual, the imagination, the physical.

I discovered that my path in life up to that fateful moment had laid the foundation for me to leap into weaving with gusto.  I had even taken classes in high school that proved invaluable - Law 11, Office Practices, Typing.

With writing came a computer - eventually - and my typing skills stood me in good stead.  Bookkeeping?  I could set up my own ledger and double entry bookkeeping system so that I could track my own financial records.  I could make up class handouts.  Eventually even self-publish a book.  Several 'books'.

Being self-employed allowed me to set my own hours (way too many, usually!), take time off when I wanted to, accept commissions or refuse them based on my desire to do that - or not - or the state of my health.

At my age, many people have much bigger pension funds and way more material goods.  But I've had experiences that they have not, met people I would never have met in an 'ordinary' job.

If I were to be told that this is the end of life, I would be sad - mostly because I have so much yarn, so many more ideas I would like to bring into being.  But ultimately I have lived my life in such a way as to say that I have had a great deal of satisfaction.

Yes, there have been pot holes.  Yes, I have some regrets.  But it has been a full and active life.  And I am satisfied.  So there, Mick Jagger!

2 comments:

Antonia Smith said...

I hope one day I have finished projects to leave...or someone has kept something that I have woven :-)

Sandra Rude said...

I suspect Mick's problem is he's not satisfied even when he ought to be - he wants too much. Like you, I'd rather have satisfaction in what I do, and happiness therewith.