Thursday, February 25, 2016

Happy Place


I can hardly believe that in just over two years I have used up the majority of Lynn's fine linen.  But today I finished off the very fine three ply and started using an even finer singles cotton/hemp blend.  

Since it was just a tad finer and more supple than the linen I 'cheated' and added a shaft to the twill tie up.  This increases the number of interlacements and I didn't have to change the auto cloth advance.  If I hadn't increased the interlacements, the cloth would have been a bit on the sleazy side.  Since it is weaving up nicely, I feel I made the right choice. 

The photo shows the hem and the beginning of the towel body.  The pink line is the cut line.  This marker makes it easy to cut the towels apart once they are off the loom.

Tomorrow is fraught with errands and final packing so I won't likely get back to the loom.  But that's ok.  I have to order in yarn for the next warp so having this one waiting for me means I can get right back to weaving when I get home.  Even better that I feel like I have made some good progress on the stash busting and that I really like how this cloth is turning out. 

Currently reading Silkworm by Robert Galbraith (J. K. Rowling)

4 comments:

Sandra Rude said...

Nice draft! It'll show even more after finishing, of course...:-)

Peg Cherre said...

I, too, love the draft! Is it an 8shaft? I know you also have more than that available to you. (Still here with shaft envy.)

amyfibre said...

Laura, you are amazing! I swear I learn something from you almost every blog post.

"Since it was just a tad finer and more supple than the linen I 'cheated' and added a shaft to the twill tie up. This increases the number of interlacements and I didn't have to change the auto cloth advance. If I hadn't increased the interlacements, the cloth would have been a bit on the sleazy side. "

Well, duh! Brilliant solution, and clearly another tool that I need to keep handy in my multi-shaft design/weaving tool box.

Thank you!!

Laura Fry said...

Love my fancy twills! I'm looking forward to feeling this after the magic in the water. :)

Peg, it's 16 shafts but you can do similar things on fewer.

Amy, I am the queen of the weaving 'cheat'. I figured this out years ago and routinely mess with the tie up, especially when the loom is...behaving. ;)