Saturday, December 10, 2016

Language Matters


One thing I learned early was that language matters.  

My mother spoke French as her first language, then was tossed into the deep end of the pool in Grade 1 when her parents sent her to an English only school.  Her sister in law did not speak English so I experienced not being able to communicate with family members at a very early age.  

As an avid reader from the age of four I developed an appreciation for the written word and dreamed of becoming a writer.  I didn't realize that my challenge would be to share my love of weaving via the written word. 

As a teacher of weaving I very quickly learned that not everyone processes information the same way.  I had to figure out ways of communicating with different people.  In the end I crafted short pithy sentences that I tend to repeat and repeat and repeat until realization dawns and the concept sinks home.  Friends refer to them as 'Laura-isms'.  One calls them an ear worm - but means it in a positive way.  (Or at least, that's her story and she is sticking to it!)

Conversation is fluid and when someone doesn't understand, I can re-phrase, draw a diagram, demo. But in a book, I get one chance to say what I want to say, no further elaboration. 

While I would really like to be clear and concise, not everyone will relate to this effort.  And I have to get comfortable with the thought that I cannot be everything to everyone.  All I can do is the best I can.  And hope that my best is good enough for some to find it useful.  

Currently reading Secrets of Death by Stephen Booth

No comments: