Friday, January 10, 2020

Free Advice

Is worth what you paid for it.





Over the years, I have woven a lot.  Dealt with physical injuries and ailments, but had to weave anyway so needed to work with a variety of health professionals to keep me going.  I talked to them, listened to their advice, learned how the body works.

Since the rise of the internet I have belonged to many different groups, heard the complaints from dozens of people about pain, discomfort, frustration.  Having addressed many of these problems in my own studio, I had advice to give.  And I have given it on groups and now mainly here, for years.

Having taught all over the place, I have seen hundreds of weavers trying to weave using 'bad' ergonomics.  There is nothing quite like seeing someone from all angles to see how they are using their body and knowing the potential for damage they are courting.

Not everyone agrees with what I have to say - about anything, apparently.  And that is fine.  We all must come to our own best practice.

All I can do is offer facts and principles.  How anyone else applies them - or not - will be up to them.  Everyone needs to find their own way.

If you (general you, not you specific, but whatever) have found my free advice helpful, you can do me a favour by recommending the things that I do expect to be paid for - i.e. my books and DVDs as offered now as on-line workshops via Handwoven

I frequently see people recommending 'just toss it in the washer/dryer' as the 'best' approach to wet finishing.  Which is fine as far as it goes.  It's free advice. 

I frequently see people recommending particular processes in weaving as the 'best' approach.  Which is fine, as long as they are getting the results they desire.

I frequently see people saying they don't want to work 'fast' when all I recommend is working ergonomically.  Work at your own pace, but please, be aware of body mechanics and try to not damage your body in the process.

You may never cause yourself injury doing what you are doing.  But some of us come to the craft already injured.  We need to work with our bodies, the way they are, and not damage them further.

Don't just take my word for it.  Consult a medical professional.  Make sure you are working in a way that promotes a long time in the craft, not a painful one.

No comments: