Thursday, January 2, 2020

I Had a Dream

Image result for closed sign


In my 20s I discovered weaving - or actually the universe or whatever worked really hard to get me to a loom - and I decided to make weaving my life's work.

Long time readers will be familiar with the trajectory of my life - buying a new house with room for a loom, quitting my job to take the weaving program at the college, working temporary jobs to finance my way through the steep, slippery learning curve, opening my business in the late 70s, continuing to work temporary or part-time while I built my knowledge, learned how to operate a craft based business, develop my products, figured out how to market them.

Along the way I had many adventures.  I tried many different things, sometimes doing several businesses (so to speak) at once.  Because a craft based business has cyclical income.  People began asking me to teach, so I did that, mostly in the spring when income dried up.  But the expenses didn't.

With the help of Doug I was able - in the 1980s - to develop a credit rating in my own name.  Not a mean feat for a woman, when most married woman couldn't even get a loan without their husband co-signing it.  Nor a credit card, which is essentially a form of loan.  But I got one of those, too.

I travelled.  Further than I ever anticipated I would or could.  Self published two 'major' weaving books, and multiple smaller monographs.  Met amazing people who all loved textiles and weaving as much as I did.

Explored technology, from making video clips and working with a computer person to make cds with embedded clips to help people learn.  Not to mention a computer assisted loom.

Figured out how to blog, sell on eBay, have an on line presence to sell my work (Artfire, then through this blog).

Have been interviewed for podcasts, done on line seminars (via Interweave).

But always, I have done craft fairs and even wholesale fairs for a time, designing, producing and marketing my textiles.

2020 begins and I end my business.  The end of December I brought my ledger up to date.  I just have to balance December and gather my papers to take to the accountant.  On Jan. 16 I will go in and find out how to shut my tax accounts down and notify anyone who needs to know that this sole proprietor is now retired.  My business is closed.

But I'm not.

Now my dream has changed again.  My focus will be on exploration and encouragement, teaching and writing.  My weaving practice will be more investigative or supplemental to my writing.  Yes, I will still produce for sale - via consignment shops or the guild sales.  I am happy to pay someone a commission to do the marketing for me.

People seem to find it curious that I will 'retire' but not 'retire'.  But it was never about giving up weaving.  It was about giving up the things that were becoming too physically demanding for me.  And while the pain treatments are helping, I cannot overlook the fact that I am no longer 29, I am 69.  I have had a productive life, filled with adventure, good friends, good experiences.  I had the dream.  I made it come true - to the best of my ability.  I succeeded in a profession that was at best anachronistic, at worst, completely foreign to the majority of people in North America.

When people talk about bucket lists, I ignore them.  I have no plans to fill a bucket with adventures.  I lived my bucket list.

For those people finally getting a chance to tick things off their bucket list, I applaud you.  Live life to the fullest, every day.


2 comments:

Louisa said...

I probably had even more difficulty trying to establish a credit rating and get my own credit card since I’ve never owned a business. I love the irony that Doug helped you! All the best for your “retirement”, hon’! And Happy New Year to you both.

Laura Fry said...

It wasn't irony, but conscious strategy. He co-signed my first two loans, then we told the bank that since I'd serviced those loans without difficulty he didn't need to co-sign any more. :)