Tuesday, January 28, 2020

The Puzzle of Value


Mary and I both enjoy puzzles so in our 'spare' time we have been twiddling bits of coloured cardboard. 

As we were working on the sky and water of the current puzzle, I became really aware of how much my eye has been trained to the nuance of value by working puzzles. 

The blue/greys of both the upper and lower part of the puzzle are very slight variations of the hues and I realized just how much I judge which piece goes where by the value of the hue.

Then I see the subtle changes in the hue itself - more purple, more grey, more pure blue.

If you really want to fast track training your eye for value, maybe a little puzzle challenge might be helpful?

I'm toying with bringing a puzzle to level one classes and just leaving it out somewhere for people to not necessarily make the puzzle but begin to analyse the value/hue relationships between the pieces.

2 comments:

Jean said...

Laura, if you haven't seen them already, you should check out the 1000 colours puzzle (https://puzzle.lamingtondrive.com/#1000-colours). Every piece is a different colour, and excellent eye training. It's a bit pricey, but really well made and too much fun!

Peg Cherre said...

That puzzle Laura mentions does look awesome. Watching their short video on assembly was fun, too.