Friday, February 7, 2020

Groundhog Day


It's February, the shortest month of the year.  And every day seems to be much the same as the day before.  Overcast.  Dreary.  Rough roads.  Last night I got 'stuck' in an icy dip on an incline with cars behind me so I couldn't back up and take a run at it.  Through two green lights I carefully tried to get enough traction to make it up the slight incline.  Thank goodness the cars behind didn't start honking their horns because I was doing my best!

Finally I managed to find a little traction and was able to make a right turn instead of the left I intended.  There is always another way.  It's not good to stay stuck in your intentions when Life tosses obstacles in your path...

Yesterday I mentioned that I work best when I have a routine.  Some folk find doing the same - or nearly the same - thing over and over boring.  They prefer to have new things to think about.  In terms of weaving they get excited about their next warp, throw themselves into planning it, preparing the warp and even getting the loom dressed.  Then after the first six inches, they begin longing for the next project to start.

When I get to the weaving part I breathe deep and head into my 'zone'.  The weaving becomes a working meditation for me.  It is in a way a 'rut', but a comfortable one.  And at the end of an hour I have cloth to show for it.

There is a great deal of satisfaction as the roll of web builds up on the cloth beam.  The reduction on the warp beam goes more slowly, but still, it shrinks.

I figure I'm about half way through the current warp.  There are two more bins with the next tea towel warps ready to go.  As I walk by them on the way to the loom or back, I see them sitting there, quite patiently.  They are the carrot that promises more fun once this warp is done.

As to who is 'right'?  We all are.  We each come to the craft for our own reasons and have our own preferences.  If you get 'bored' with the shuttle throwing, do short warps.  If you don't, do long ones. 

Above all?  Enjoy what you are doing, in the way that you enjoy doing it.

No comments: