Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Growing Community



I have been weaving for long enough now to see interest in learning how to weave wax and wane.  It would seem that right now the interest in weaving is on the upswing.  At least locally.

But I have also seen growth in wanting to learn on the internet as well, so I don't think it is just a local thing.

This week I am spending very little time at my loom because I am prepping for not one but two Introduction to Weaving classes.  The guild has looms so people can come and learn without having to actually invest in a loom right off the bat.

So I have been dressing looms for the students to weave a sampler on.  One of the warps will be used to demonstrate how that happens, but mostly I will focus on the physical skills involved in weaving - because I am, after all, me. 

They will learn the language of the technology so that they can better understand when and if they decide to carry on.  They will learn ergonomic position and posture at the loom.  They will learn how to read a draft and be encouraged to explore variations of twill. 

The warps are 4/8 cotton, each warp threaded half straight progression, half (approximately) point progression.  They will get handouts based on the variations set out in M. P. Davison's book.

There is a lot to learn in order to weave and get results you desire.  These classes are just a taster to see if people enjoy it enough to go ahead and learn how to dress the loom and carry on.  And of course we will discuss wet finishing!

Since the first weekend class sold out (six places) we offered a second and had 5 more sign up, so what I have done is made 7 meter long warps with the hope that there will be enough warp left after the first class that I won't have to dress the looms all over again for the second.

Time will tell. 

And just in case someone catches fire and wants to carry on, the guild even has a couple of looms for sale.  Plus a couple more in the community looking for new homes. 

2 comments:

Meg said...

Weaver Rose Pelvin, who has been a (the?) core member of one of the best weaving guilds in New Zealand told me suddenly they have five new members, in various ages and life stages but on the whole younger. The group has been loosing some members, also, and some of the new weavers inherit looms, which is a dream scenario for all concerned. Too many have turned into firewood - looms, that is, not weavers - in the last couple of decades, among other reasons because of space looms require.

Laura Fry said...

Sad when looms get disposed of, not to be used by someone else. The same thing happens here, all too frequently. I've helped four people dispose of their studio contents and have been eyeballing my own. It feels like I have been on a stash reduction mission for over 10 years (mainly because I have!) and finally seem to be making some headway - except for the most recent acquisition of 7 boxes of silk, and a bag of it given to me yesterday. :-/