Thursday, January 11, 2024

Cold Snap

 


After months of too warm temps (yes, really!) we have achieved 'winter'.  And it is with a sense of relief that the new HVAC system seems to have passed the cold temp test very well.  

While I have faith that things usually work out well, I am also pragmatic enough to know that sometimes things don't work properly the very first time.  So I went to bed last night unsure if the natural gas would cut in when it was supposed to.  

For a wonder, I slept through the night (not a guarantee these days) but Doug was up in the middle of the night and says the system worked as advertised and we woke up to a warm house.  

Yesterday I didn't accomplish much, but that was ok because I had scheduled some light duty days.  My ankle is 'better', which is another relief.  I won't start weaving until next week and hopefully it should be fully recovered by then.

I did very little yesterday, but after too much pain and too little sleep, it was probably a Good Thing that I didn't try to do much.  And most people do actually take days 'off', so if I take a day away from the loom once in a while, I'd actually be more 'normal'?  

With the colder temps have come clear skies and we woke to a blue sky and strange yellow orb above.  This is what I would call 'normal' - for us.  Bonus that I have nothing to do outside of the house until next Tuesday.  By then the deep dive into the nether regions of the thermometer might be over and things will be back to more 'usual' winter.  

Today I have a stack of towels to press and add to the hemming pile.  I also have a stack of towels ready for their finishing press, but they will have to wait until the damp towels finish drying.  So, tomorrow?

My goal for today is to begin sifting through photos for the book.  I have to do a quick skim of the text to remind myself of what should be illustrated, so I can see that task taking several days.  Having a different task to alternate with the brain work is a good idea.  Eventually I lose all perspective when I do that kind of job, get tired, and just choose images randomly.  

The photos for this book will be less eye candy and more targeted, appropriate to the topic, so I want to choose the best images.

There are several other items on my task list that I've been procrastinating over - time to clear those off my desk during this time of light duties, too.  

I did do a sort through one of my filing bins and tossed quite a few things out.  Still loads left to deal with.  I just find it difficult to throw things away if there is any chance of 'needing' them in the future.

There is a stack of CDs with files stored on them, and not one of my computers has a CD drive.  Hm.  Unless that old one stored away has one.  Maybe I could transfer the files to a thumb drive and...ok, one more thing to add to my task list!  See if that old computer will fire up and if it has a password, what that might be!

I had intended to drop my serger off this week to be serviced and forgot.  I may ask Doug to drop it off when he goes out today.  It gets dirty really quickly because I am working with loom state webs.  And it is long past due to be serviced.  

Hopefully, these days of light duties will work to let the injection take hold, my ankle to heal, and I can begin weaving again next week.  It looks like maybe 4 more towels to finish off this warp, then set up the next one.  And keep picking away at my stash.  Such a weight coming off my shoulders as the stash continues to reduce.

For those dealing with extreme weather (of whatever sort) I hope that you and yours stay safe and well.


No comments: