Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Mylar

 


Nancy asked how I used the mylar thread in my lace.  This is a bookmark I made a while ago (a really long while ago!)

The shiny thread in this one isn't the same as the hologram thread I'm using in the current bookmark, but shows how I use it.  Normally I will wind one of the cotton threads with the mylar as part of my working threads, not as a separate gimp.

This bookmark isn't one of my best.  I'm not terribly happy with how I used the mylar.  It does act to 'frame' the spiders, though, so it's not terrible.   But it does divide the 'heart' motif at the edges so that you lose the shape.

For the current bookmark, the mylar is much thinner and not textured, as such.  I placed those pairs one pair inside the edge threads and I'm not all that pleased with that placement, either.  I had intended to make it the outside pair, then changed my mind as I was setting up the pillow.

It's the same pricking as this one, and since I don't have the instructions for how to make it, I'm winging it.  And making a bit of a hash with it.

I'm also finding it hard to see.  My eyesight has deteriorated over the years and it's harder to see the fine threads and the fine lines/dots of the pricking.  Let's just say I've unmade nearly as much of the current bookmark as I've made!

This design is probably (likely!) a skill level or two above what I should have tried next.  But I had bobbins already wound with the red 2/20 merc. cotton and it seemed like A Good Idea at the time.

The above bookmark was 'mounted' by using a trifold piece of heavier paper, a 'slot' was cut into the paper just the width of the narrow point of the book mark, then the bookmark was carefully inserted into the paper.  The paper had a 'cover' (back and front) printed on it and I offered some for sale.  I did sell a few, but mostly I gave them as gifts.  

The bookmarks I am making now are practice pieces and will be given as gifts.  My goal is to make 'ornaments' for an xmas tree and donate them to the guild's tree, decorated co-operatively with some of the other tenants of the arts studio building.  The Festival of the Trees is a fund-raiser for the local hospital and generally quite popular.  It is one way to give back to our community, and I'm happy to make some small items that can decorate our tree.

Bobbin lace is a kind of weaving where you build your loom as you create your textile.  Warps can (and do!) turn into wefts.  You can twist, cross, knot, and generally make the threads go 'off grid' in order to create motifs.  You can work in the round, a square, or long lengths.  Or make shapes.  I've done a bit of designing, usually tape lace, some simple Torchon items, but I'm hardly an expert.  But I am pleasantly surprised at how much my hands 'remember'.  I think I can, at least, show people who are interested the basics.  And then let them loose to carry on if they wish.

No comments: