Sunday, January 14, 2024

The End

 


Flying Free - linen warp, grosgrain ribbon weft, about 2' by 4'


Well, I just hit 'send' on the final file for the new book.

I submit this manuscript to the editor with a great deal of trepidation, not because of what they will say, but if it will be received by the 'public' in the spirit in which it was written.

A Thread Runs Through It will be the most personal book yet, as I examine how being a professional production weaver affected me.  How it changed me.  How it challenged me.  I have also included a lot more personal information than in my previous books, which were, frankly, more textbook than anything else.  Stories from the Matrix included more personal information than the other two, but this one is more memoir than textbook.

Recently I read a comment that said something to the effect that boomers needed to stop giving advice to younger generations because society has changed so radically that any advice I might give about being a professional production weaver would be antiquated.  (That wasn't what the comment said - this was me extrapolating from their example to one that applied to me.)

I had already figured that out, but felt that my growth as a human being through the lens of my career might still prove of some value to a younger person.

Because change one thing, and everything can change.

What changed in my lifetime is the rise of the internet and social media; therefore marketing has changed so radically that my experience is not relevant to someone just starting out now.

But human beings are still human beings, and the lessons I learned about being a human doing weaving for an income might be of interest to youngsters.  

I don't think we have settled on a cover photo yet.  OTOH, I've just sent a large fistful of photos and my editor may decide to take one of those - or ask for me to send something current.  TBD.

My 'light duty' days are nearly over.  I will try weaving tomorrow and see how it goes.  Tuesday I have chiropractor and won't likely feel much like weaving.  I do still have a couple more administrivia tasks to be done, so I will sort through the heap of paper on my desk and hopefully deal with the rest after my appointment.  It would be great to begin digging into the next warp (once the current one is off the loom) with a clean slate on my desk.

Who knows, my 'muse' may begin poking me again.  She seems content - for now.  But who knows.  I never intended to write a second book, never mind a third - or fourth.

Go with the flow, they said.  It will be fun, they said.  Riiiiiight....

Tentative publication date is Feb. 14.  Because this book is a long song to weaving, so to speak.

No comments: