Monday, January 29, 2024

Learning Curve

 is curvy...


I'm glad I chose this bookmark design to begin with.  It's easy, just two 'stitches' and I'm using 2/20 merc. cotton so the threads are big enough I can see to do it.  :)  

Today I will look for a different bookmark design, something with another stitch in it.  There won't be a lot of time in the 'taster' sessions, but I would like to have each person go away with at least a sampler (to learn the basics) and then maybe a small item.  I have a couple of student 'pillows' I could send them home with and let them finish, then meet with them again to do the finishing part, which can be a bit tricky for a new lace maker.  

I didn't do anything 'fancy' for these, I just wanted to remember how to make lace.

Yes, I undid and redid each bookmark - the first one more times than the second.  So it felt like I was making progress.  Learning how to recognize a mistake, then take it back and fix it, is a very important part of lace making.  As it is with any textile (or other?) craft.

These will get a pressing, then be inserted into a plastic 'sleeve'.  In my deep dive in the studio collecting all of the lace stuff in one place, I actually found the stack of sleeves I bought from my English lace making friend.  When I use these up, I'm not sure where to get more.  Guess I'll have to figure that out when I get there.

In the meantime, I have begun weaving the linen weft towels.  It's looking good, so far, and I'm pleased that I can use up another yarn in my stash.  The linen is a bit fiddly to work with, even after steeping in the humidor for a few days.  But the relative humidity in the house is below 30% so some unruliness is only to be expected.  The end result appears like it will be well worth the extra effort.

Yesterday I was able to read through (most of) the latest iteration of A Thread Runs Through It.  It's looking good.  We are on track for the scheduled launch date, and that pleases me no end.

I still have 'I donwanna' tasks on my task list and I know I need to tackle those - soon.  At least I managed to get a few of them done during my light duty days.

The lace stash still needs to be organized and stored...somewhere.  But in the meantime I will keep picking away at this and see what I can manage.

No comments: