Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Derailed

 


If you remember the 'flying fickle finger of fate' you must be as old as I am...

I had another epidural injection last week and once again my hope ramped up - this time, THIS TIME, it would 'work' and I would have less pain.

Once again, hope has been dashed on the cliffs of reality.

Today is a 'busy' day.  Well, I mean, it wouldn't be considered busy according to past me, the me that had a body that actually worked and wasn't trying to, I dunno, punish me for the abuse I heaped upon it, lo these many years?

So, instead of getting shit done today, I am limping along (literally as well as figuratively), grateful that my teaching these days is remote via Zoom.  Running on 3 hours of restless sleep.

OTOH, I do have a Zoom presentation to do later today, by which time I should be more functional than I am now.

The topic for today is The Goldilocks Zone, and instead of weaving, I'm nursing my second cup of coffee, thinking about what I should do - and what I should not.  Weaving has now been moved from the should to the should not list.  I can weave tomorrow.  Maybe.

Generally weaving doesn't seem to make things worse, but given my rather 'busy' week, I'm not going to push.  Since I *am* retired (for certain values of) and weaving is now my pastime, not my profession, all deadlines are self-inflicted and are then, mutable.

A lesson I am beginning to learn.

Does not make me any happier, but less angry, I suppose.

Since I also ordered more yarn on Sunday night in order to weave that luscious new linen singles that arrived, I really do want to make headway on the current warps in the queue so that I can enjoy the linen once the new warp yarns arrive.  But there is no hurry.  I have no craft fairs or other sales venues that I need to prepare for, and truth be told, I've got *lots* of inventory (check out my ko-fi shop) so when ever I get to weaving more is fine.  Just fine.  

I'd much rather be at the loom than not.  

My hope is not quite dead - yet.  I have an appointment tomorrow with another therapist to see if I might benefit from a new therapy.  It's a bit, um, cutting edge, sounds a bit 'woo woo', but the pain doctor says the literature is showing some promise.  So I'll go talk to this 'new' doctor and see what he says.

The sharp blade of my hope is getting very thin these days, tbh.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for your talk this evening with the Nashoba Weavers Guild. I wanted to ask: Why take the yarn off the bottom of the swift, not the top? And also, what is tencel made of?

I figured out using the swift horizontally long ago, which made me really happy. It fit beautifully on the castle of my Putney Mountain loom, but I don't have that loom anymore, and don't actually have a good place to mount the swift right now. A place will appear or be made or found, sooner or later.

I wove on big, cast iron, industrial, power-looms for a couple of years, and with them, there was NO FUDGE! No bobbins hanging off the back, no T-pins, no tweaks. It had to be RIGHT from beginning to end.

Laura Fry said...

Trying both ways, I've found that the swift just behaves so much better when the yarn is taken off the bottom of the swift. I don't have an explanation for it, although someone with a better grasp of physics might. :)

Tencel is regenerated cellulose, therefore for legal purposes (like fibre content labels) to be listed as 'rayon' in both the USA and Canada, although "Tencel TM" can be used on hang tags for marketing purposes. The chemical process for Tencel is less harsh on the environment than the 'ordinary' rayon process.

Yes, handweavers can be a lot 'looser' in their processes. Our looms don't operate at the speeds that industrial looms run, so they don't need to be quite so 'perfect' in their set up.

It was lovely talking to the guild. Thanks for attending. :)