Monday, February 12, 2024

Mid-February

 


draft for heart motif

Well, here we are, nearly the middle of the shortest month of the year.

We have sun today, which is lovely, a welcome change from the string of grey dreary days we have been having.  But the weather is not...'normal'...far too warm, and already the slumbering wildfires that never got put out last autumn are re-awakening.  

I learned about the 'curse' "May you live in interesting times" when I was in my 30s, and while I thought I understood why it was actually a 'curse', I never actually thought I would live to see this level of 'interesting'.

When I was in my 20s I was preparing for the Cold War to heat up and nuclear weapons to be used bringing about nuclear winter.  I didn't expect that humans would bring the apocalypse slowly, rather than quickly and that it would be heat/drought.

And yet, here we are.

There is going to come a time when people like me, and others who either grow the fibre, prepare it, spin it, then turn it into cloth, are going to become necessary again.  If that happens, I hope I will have left enough good information for people to learn how to do the cloth making part.

Human beings have been playing with fibres and string for nigh on 40,000 years.  We may see a resurgence of interest as things continue to get more difficult in terms of supply of necessary items.

Today we have sun, so I'm going to try to get some decent photos of the latest batches of tea towels made since the last time I updated my ko-fi shop.  

So, shameless plug:

Tea towels and two signed copies of Stories from the Matrix (and lots of Weave a V) available in my ko-fi shop.   Check later this week to see the new listings.

My books are still available on blurb in both pdf and print versions.

Classes on School of Sweet Georgia are available - four different classes.  I hang out in the forums and answer questions.

Workshops on Long Thread Media are still available.

And my lectures via Zoom.  I'm still taking bookings for this year (and started filling in dates for next).  I've even customized topics for a couple of guilds.  

Last but not least, you can always email me laura at laurafry dot com if you have questions.

No comments: