Monday, June 3, 2024

Deadlines. Goals.

 


If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

I don't remember the first time I heard this observation, but it has stuck with me.

The thing is, I like 'easy'.  'Easy' means nothing is going 'wrong'.  Everything is flowing.  Stuff is getting done.

But life is seldom 'easy'.  And weaving, while not difficult, *is* complicated, and sometimes things are not 'easy'.

However, I've never been one to back away from a challenge, especially if it is standing in the way of my getting something I want to do, done.

But the fact is, I'm not in my 20s anymore, I'm in my 70s and some things are just not as 'easy' as they used to be.

My mother used to wonder (aloud, in my hearing) where I got my 'stubborn' from.  So, so tempting to tell her to look in the mirror!  Knowing the consequences if I did, I never once said it, just thought it.

The fact is, I've always worked 'better' to a deadline.  It gives my day(s) shape.  If I need to accomplish 'this', I have to do 'that' - today.

It's how I've always tackled big projects.  Figure out when the job has to be done, then break down the steps that need to be taken in order to get the thing done before deadline.

What has had to change is how I factor in the time required to do the thing.  Because the fact of the matter is, I no longer have the well of energy to draw from I used to have.  I run out of steam quickly.  I cannot do what I used to be able to do.

But neither can I let go of the structure of working to deadline.  It's what keeps me getting up out of my chair and going to the studio.

So, today the goal is to finish the grey shawl, cut off what I've woven so far, then re-tie.  Who knows, maybe even weave the header.  

Tomorrow I have massage, so I have a bin of towels that need their final press to do as 'light duties' afterwards.

On my task list right now, I have two articles to write, both of which require some research and experimentation.  That digging will take time, and since I don't know how long it will take, the urge to dig into my books, and yes, the internet, is pretty strong.  Nothing like having a question I don't *know* the answer to (although I have opinions!) to get me interested and enthused enough to try to find answers!

But I also have my routine weaving to do.  So I try to balance my energy levels so that I can do my two sessions a day, and still have some energy left over to write (like now), but also think and plan how I will set up my experiments to find out the answers I'm looking for so that I can write the two articles.

I am also pleased to see that WEFT is about halfway to their Kickstarter goal.  I'll be honest here - I'm hoping to submit some articles to them for publication, because it looks like their goal is similar to mine - dig deeper into the craft in order to bring better understanding of the craft.  Since it didn't exist when I was a new weaver, I'm hoping I can contribute to it now.  Time will tell.

My Brassard order has been shipped and should be here June 11.  So I'm trying really hard to get this shawl warp off the loom, put the experimental warp into the loom and get it woven so that I can put the new yarn into the loom in order to start weaving off that 5 kilos of fine linen.

And, because there is less than a month until my 'birthday bash' sale, I need to inventory my towels and set up the special sale on ko-fi.

But first I need to take care of a few things.  And that means I need to finish my 2nd cup of coffee and go do the things.  


No comments: